What's new

My Three Sons: Season 1, Vol. 1 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't think of any of Paramount's volume releases (though there may be some that I'm not thinking of) that aren't slowly but surely coming out. I can think of a large number of Sony and a few Fox releases that have one or two releases and then they quit. If it takes a volume release to get it to come out, it's better than nothing.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Well if there was some sort of garuntee or evidence that they would keep releasing the show via Volumes over just doing 2 full seasons and stopping. Then i would be on-board with getting more show in the end. It just seems to me with shows that ran for 10+ years the end is likely to be the middle of the show this route. I am not 100% sure on what shows have continued and what has stopped when it comes to volumes. Has there been anything seen through to completion though ? I will have to do a little research on that.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I really only liked the first 5 (ABC) seasons of this show with Frawley and the original sons. I have them all from Nick at Nite, which ran them through complete the first time but it's still nice to see them get a release.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Did Frawley last that long I could sworn it was more like three years. Anyhoo, even Sony put an entire 22 epsiode Season of Barney Miller on 3 Disks, 9 eps on 2 of them the rest on a third, so while it's not the best method 9 episodes a disk would get this in on 4 disks, The Fact they are still selling some full season sets make these split shows totally unecessary.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine

Frawley stayed about 1/3 into the 5th season. William Demarest stepped in as Charley O'Casey for the last half of season 5.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Yes! I'm very surprised at this myself. I thought for sure by now we would have an announcement on The Lucy Show. And let's hope they don't pull the split-season thing with Lucy. The first season is meant to be packaged as a whole. If they can release Gomer Pyle in a complete season set, then Lucy is definitely worthy of it too.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Kudos for CBS/Paramount for releasing the show to dvd, but I think it's a bit self-defeating to do it in a split-season set. Will those not familiar with the show pick up an 18 episode set for $25+?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Yeah how these decisions are made make me scratch my head the only thing I can think of is that Gomer is Color and My 3 Sons is B&W. If that makes any sense.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yep. No one will ever convince me that the b&w versus color thing doesn't have a lot to do with these decisions. I still say it's a big part of the discussion in the board rooms where these decisions are being made.

Gary "don't get me started on the anti-b&w bias in the TVonDVD market place" O.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
And why oh why is William Frawley's pic not included on the cover art? I know that MacMurray is the "star", but without meaning any offense, I have to say that a box with "Fred Mertz" on the cover is way more likely to capture the casual shopper's eye than a box with Fred MacMurray's picture. And a split season for a 1/2 hour sitcom? UGH!! The marketing department could use some serious lessons in how to attract a buyer.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Marvelous news. I'm particularly fond of that initial season, which was full of offbeat plots and ideas (and a sort of 'slice-of-life' approach, which director Peter Tewksbury continued with in the "It's a Man's World" series in 1962). Some of my favorite episodes from 1st-season include the one where Tramp gets hold of an unearthed stick of dynamite at a construction site, and winds up carrying through the household, with the Douglas' entirely oblivious to the situation. It's amazingly unnerving; not something you expect in a 'family sitcom.' And, there was the fine episode where Mike takes a summer job as a watchman at a fire-tower. Memorable stuff.

Although, come to think of it, these will probably be in a volume-2, as I think they were later in the season. Sure wish if the whole season could have been released together. I'm afraid the split-season route will drag things out to the point that interest might wane. That's an awfully long road to the color episodes, not to mention ever seeing Tina Cole again.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The release has been pulled by Paramount. Hopefully they will simply do a full season release.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Paramount cancel "the Love Boat" and release it properly as a complete season. Also when you get around to announcing Dynasty: S3 make sure it is a complete season!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
And this is news to be happy about? Come on folks, this is horrible news unless Paramount is going to release the full season. And that is NOT a given at all. I remember a couple of years ago when Paramount "hinted" at the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES coming out and we see where that's at. Now, it's true that this was an actual announcement - with cover art - from the studio as opposed to something TVShowsonDVD.com had deduced (as was the case with the BH situation if I remember correctly). But still, this is not a good situation and no one should be happy at this point. Until we get official confirmation that this release is back on the schedule this is very sad.

Gary "man, talk about going from the mountain top to the valley all in 48 hours" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The thing is that Indiana Jones, There Will Be Blood and Jericho: S2 also got pulled from that release list too. Obviously, none of those titles are cancelled. I think it's more of a matter that they've changed the release date or format or they didn't want to announce them this early rather than an outright cancellation of any of them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

That's my best guess too, but I won't be comfortable until we get a new official announcement and release date. If the issue is that simple one would think Paramount could have responded to TVShowsonDVD's request for an explanation.

Gary "hopefully Dave and Gord can get the skinny on this one soon and let us in on what's happening" O.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Don't give up hope. Paramount is probably doing this because they bet on the losing horse in the HD Media race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks