What's new

my thoughts on Tannoy S-10, and PMC speaker audition (1 Viewer)

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,
Thought I'd share my experiences over the weekend. I have been looking for a pair of fronts for my AV/music (more music) setup. My rooms is 12.5 by 22 and somewhat uneven in shape but mostly rectangular. I came across an excellent deal at audiogon on a pair of PSB Goldis which were "virtually new" and thought I'd audition what I was buying locally first. (incidentally I'm looking for something to better play my more rock/alternative (think stone temple pilots, bush, Nine Inch Nails, Stones, Doors, Linkin Park,)) I also want something that will do home theater and will do well with Enya, Natalie Merchant, Sarah Mclaughlin and some R&B say Janet Jackson sounding stuff. So not asking for too much right ;)
The first place I went to, kennedy Hi-Fi in Markham Ontario (Canada) didn't have any but they suggested I listen to a pair of Tannoy S-10(s). They were played on a bryston 4B-ST and a Bryston Pre-pro. I liked them overall but did find they were quite directional (you'd best be sitting in the sweet spot). I had a definate sense that these speakers were designed to play loud as they had a kind of potential forcefulness lingering behind the sound. They did the lower frequency rock stuff well by making things distinct but not overdoing it (Ie not separating the sounds out so much that it doesn't sound "alternativy"). I did however find that the (the vocals) were submerged into the music and didn't really stand out as well given the drums and the rest of the guitar that was going on. I kind of lost the vocals if that made sense. The vocals also were a little thin and the cymbals/chymey things didn't quite sound "right".
So then I tried a PMC speaker (I've misplaced the model unfortunately but it retailed for 3200 Canadian and was about 5 feet high with quite a thin profile. It had an open rectangle for the transmission line at the bottom and "looked" rather diminutive for a floor standing speaker. If someone could help with the model number I'd appreciate) It was contrastingly quite a bit smaller than the Tannoy. It was played on a McIntosh Amp and I don't recall the pre-pro. In any case vocals on it stood right in the forefront of the sound, they had a much thicker quality. It also had (to my ear) noticably more real and accurate sounding cymbals and high end electric guitar though these seemed to have just a tad less emphasis than the vocals. While I found the vocals and high end instrumentals quite pleasing but noted that the lower end guitar and drum work while very accurate was definately lacking in power and emphasis relative to the vocals which almost washed them out a little. Essentially the exact opposite of the Tannoy S-10s and they also seemed much less sensative to listener placement.
Following this I went to American Sound where I auditioned the PSB Goldi and several members of the totem line. If there's any interest I'll post my thoughts on thes. I was hoping for some feedback as to whether people had found similar things to what I mentioned regarding the above two speakers.

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
After having cleverly visited the PMC website, the speakers were definately the FB1s.

Salvador

Second Unit
Just curious, how were you treated at kennedy hi-fi? I also go there once in a while, in fact i bought some audioquest wires recently, but i never EVER deal with that obnoxious, condescending chinese guy named benny. I deal with marcus.
I also listened to the PMC speakers that they had there but i can't remember the model. It was driven by a monster bryston amp and a mcintosh pre/pro. Sounded great to me and i particularly liked the imaging it produced. What's odd though is that i listened to the same speakers at audio one that was driven by different equipment (can't remember what type) and it was the BEST two channel setup i've heard to date. The imaging wasn't great, it was spectacular. Vocals were dead center and i could distinguish the instruments very easily. It was quite an epiphanic experience for me and my friend. We were smiling like fools all the time we were in that room:D .

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
I dealt with a gentleman named Marcus as well. Actually I didn't speak to the Chinese guy, but a man came in and asked Marcus a question, when Marcus said that Benny could help him he said "no I'll wait for you, he and I don't get along" I thought the customer must have been a bit of a knob or something because it sounded very odd to have that much of an aversion to someone, but since you mentioned it as well this guy must have quite the fan club. Incidentally, I listened to the Totem Forrest and Mani-2 at American Sound and those (in my unimportant opinion) were ever better than the PMC's plus they had the lower end too. I had this goofy smile on my face listening to those Mani-2s. But to make the comparison fair I should have listened to the AB1s cause they'd be more in the same price range.

Incidentally Marcus was a little opinionated and maybe a tad salesmanny for my tastes but seemed quite knowledgable and obviously very enthusiastic. I would do business with him but personally prefer a little more of an understated approach to sales. Some people will find him perfect help though, and he really is quite good.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Salvador,

Could this be the system you were listening to at Audio One: the AVM-20; Bryston 4B SST; and PMC IB1S.
it was the BEST two channel setup i've heard to date. The imaging wasn't great, it was spectacular. Vocals were dead center and i could distinguish the instruments very easily. It was quite an epiphanic experience for me and my friend. We were smiling like fools all the time we were in that room
If we are talking about the same system, this exactly describes my listening experience.

Chris

Salvador

Second Unit
After a quick check on PMC's website, i'm pretty sure i listened to the AB2 model. It still stands as the best 2-channel system i've ever heard. There was a rack in the middle of it that was absolutely stacked with equipment. I couldn't recall seeing an AVM-20 but i did see a whole bunch of monster sized classe and bryston amps. Unfortunately, i couldn't recall which models they were. Hopefully one day i could own a system like that. Dare i say it, but i think that would take care of upgradeitits for a LONG LONG time.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to PMC's little bookshelves, the DB1 with a monster tube amp and they sounded really nice, but at $1300 for these tiny little things was a bit steep for me. Today I was at BayBloor listening to some Energy and Totem stuff as well. After listening to the Dreamcatcher system my wife looked at these 3 beautiful towers and asked what would be the difference with those and why do they cost so much? So we listened to them...now she knows.
They had the STTAF, HAWK and FOREST there. Totem continue to blow me away!! Saying that we also listened to some Axiom stuff and it is also very good and dare I say...a cheap alternative to Totem. I find them similar in sound, anybody else? Or am I crazy? We're not talking the wind or Shaman but the lower end tower and bookshelves

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, just a follow up, I listened to the PMC's at Audio Excellence in Yorkville...nobody...I mean nobody could be as arrogant as the owner of that place!!! But he carries some really cool stuff..a lot of tube gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks