What's new

My Theater Set up (1 Viewer)

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I've been apart of this forum for a long while and now I would like to share the details of my theater set up.

We moved into this house a few years ago and it had a basement that would allow me to set a small theater in a better arrangement than limitations that living rooms have always provided. The problem is that I am renting the house so I had to be creative in how I set it up. Another problem was with the basement. it was already a small basement but the furnace was smack in the middle which meant that the space that I could use would be somewhat narrow. The first thing I did was researching basement remodeling until I could come up with a feasible idea. I decided to build in a way that would be easily removable when it was time to move. So started going to the mall and places that had partial and non-pernemant show rooms. After all that researching and thinking of ideas, I built a non permanent inside wall near the furnace parallel to an outside wall. For the outside wall I fastened furring strips along the way and attached some 4'x 8' wood panels that already had. Actually the house was renovated before we moved in and the guy who did the renovating left a lot of supplies and never came back to get them. For the floors I didn't have a clue of what to do. Then it hit me, I work at fedex and we have a shipper that ships it packages on wood pallets and they don't ask for them back. Most of these are in really good shape so I used them for the framing of the floor followed by covering with sub floor.

For the ceiling,again using furring strips I place 2x2 panels covered with decorative wall paper. That's after I replaced the light fixtures with some recessed lights( making sure I kept the old fixtures for when I move). At the front of the theater I mounted a 4'x 8' mdf panel and painted it matte white for use as a screen. Also near the front of the theater along the inside wall I put two diy equipment cabinets making them apart of the wall.

As for the equipment I am using. I recently went from a H/K 325(which I moved to the living room)to a Pioneer 1014. I have pioneer DV563 dvdaudio/sacd player and a panasonic 5 disc dvd changer. For cd's I am using a pioneer 300 disc cd changer(or was using it's dying on me.) For video I bought a infocus 4800 earlier this year. I believe that one should use what ever is at ones disposal until you get what your looking for. I have two of those somewhat memorable 70's Technics receivers. The line that featured the top of line model who's rating was supposedly at 300 watts per channel. I use the main amp in on these powering the surrounds and a band pass subwoofer that I put in my risers until I can get my hands on some tranducers. I have an old Pioneer Elite prologic receiver that I use to power the fronts(Call me crazy but I could swear that the elite is making the imaging of the fronts a lot more spacious). In case you are wondering why I am using the 1014 this way, I am hoping to get my hands on a icbm soon with the hopes of getting a mutlichannel amp early next year. I also to a new cd changer so I am thinking of trading my h/k for one or maybe something else.

All in all the room is about 8 feet 9 inches wide and about 15 to 16 feet long and 8 feet high before the floor rises up in tiers. The back of the theater opens up to a short but wider "lobby" area the leads to the other side of the basement. I divided the other half of the basement from the "lobby" buy building a false wall with an opening for posters. Inside the wall are florescent lights to light up the posters.

It started to be just a room for my theater and little by little I kept doing things to make it look and feel more like a theater. I forgot to mention that some of the supplies that the renovator left behind was some unused carpet that I put along the walls to give make it feel more theater like. It's not the perfect theater but until I get to build the one I want this is what I have.

thanks for letting me share,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks