What's new

My Theater Pic's (1 Viewer)

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
Trust me I worked alot for the stuff I have and my parents paid for some at christmas time. I'm paying my frickin car insurance now and for gas and it sucks bad (Don't kno why i put that in lol) But anyways I think i'm real lucky to have the stuff i have and someday When i buy a house i'll have me a dedicated home theater room. I wish I would have not gotten the Cerwin Vegas but they will do the job for quite awhile

Jamie

ilyak

Stunt Coordinator
i can't beleive theres others in on this, this is the first place where i see people of our age...we should keep this thread going, i sold my car to build my ht (Subaru svx, i miss it :frowning:...but ht makes me happier and i can always ride with my friends...you can see my progress of my theater here: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kaga0008/...uction&.view=t im going all out with this, fiber optics, crt, speakers amps lighting and asthetics. I had to build the back wall with the pocket door, also the wall on the side was built by me. This project now that i think about it has been going on for the last year or two. Now i need to get a job doing this for $$

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
How old are you? I would never have enough money for a projector :frowning: Plus my room is not close to being big enough for one. Some day I'll have one.

Jamie

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Not a bad setup. Count me among the strangely young of the board. I turned 19 in April shortly after buying my first LCD projector, the Panasonic PT-L300U, so I hope you don't feel like the only kid who spent a lot on home theater. ;)

At least you worked to pay for your stuff like I did. A lot of my friends are extremely spoiled. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
This sounds like the young person show off thread. :)

I guess I'm not really a young person anymore seeing how I turned 21 in feb, but I can show off some stuff anyways.

Link

BTW, you guys have nice home theaters. I wish I could afford commercial speakers and subwoofers... I had to build my own speakers and get my components from ebay. :D

"You can do it EEEEeeeebay! (*Cough Audiogon)"

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Jamie you can look at peoples profile if you are interested in someones age. Some people don't have it in theirs. I don't but I'm 25. Nice theater. Just some tips for you. I suggest if you are going to buy something because it will do for now don't get it. I made that mistake. Spend a little more even if you have to wait a little longer to get something better. I bought a $400 receiver just because I got a good deal on it. Then I wasn't happy with it or its features for my HT. I would have had to upgrade again soon if I kept it. So I was lucky I decided in my 30 days it wasn't what I wanted. Even though I didn't want to part with $900 for a receiver I did and got what I really needed and wanted. I'm almost did the same with speakers by going with a Sub/Sat system. Then I thought how long will I be happy with this. I said to my self probably not long. So I decided to go with some custom towers. Always do research and think about your purchase before you do it. Just my .02 hope it helps you. David

Mike G

Stunt Coordinator
JamieZ, very impressive for your age. Those plaques do look very nice. Can you tell us more about them?

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I paid for everything in my HT out of my own pocket. If you add everything up, I've spent more than $6,000. You probably think that is crazy, but I am currently attending college and managing my own computer business.
I also work part-time as a Network Administrator for NAPA in Portland.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
"I'm not going to point the finger here at anyone on this forum, but it seems to me that kids these days have it too easy"
The rant was not directed at anyone who posted in this thread.. More at what I see everyday and how the times have changed. That is enough of a defense, read on if you like.

The I'm 15 and have a FP setup was an example of stuff that irks me. Not a direct quote.

IT IS easier for kids to make money these days.. Computers weren't around for some, and not nearly as prevalent for others during their Teen years. And now adays, teens who do nothing but mess with computers charge tech rates to older folks who know nothing about them. So, for some, it is too easy. I know of more kids who make money by working on computers now, than ever, and less who do stuff like cut yards, or have paper routes than ever before. BUT>>>>> I never said the people posting here, didn't work to get what they got. Quit reading in between the lines and filling in stuff for me that I never meant to get across.

Honestly, I am not defending my rant... I know it has merit in my personal life and what I have seen and been through. IF you all can afford the stuff you have, that is great. I'm sure once you are paying rent/mortgage, and a car payment, and bills, it will be much harder for you to justify dropping 6000 on a HT. I would hope not, god, I hope everyone gets a job where they can play as much as they work and not sweat it, but for those who don't land dream jobs, you are at least getting in while the gettins good. Like I said in my first post.. Congratulations.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
OMG, Chris Tsutsui, you're only 21!? hot damn, with all the things I've seen of yours in DIY, I would've thought you'd be at least 10-15 years my elder...I turned 21 in April, so you're only 2 months older than me!!

And as seeing how this thread has turned into a "I'm young, here's my system"...here's my system (no recent pics, as I just moved home from college):

Generic 27" Sharp TV (to be an X1 by summers end, hopefully)
Paradigm Studio 40s
Klipsch Quintets for rears (for now)
Harman Kardon 320
Panny RV-31 DVD player (to be upgraded as well)
Sony SA-WM40 (Tempest sonosub almost done!)
DIY stands in the works as well.

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I love my plaques lol. They cost me bout 30 bucks and took 10 mins to make and look great. But anyways I go to a tech school and am taking up electrical and have worked with some contractors and make some very good money. I'm graduating next year and I will hopefully get a good job and then it'll be time for some major improvments :)

Jamie

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I have spent about a total of $1400. The tv was given to my by my dad because he no longer wanted it in the living room. That tv retailed for $4800 back in 1998. Also my rears I got for free from my uncle :) But otherwise I payed for everything else.

Jamie

ilyak

Stunt Coordinator
well well,,,easy? who said easy? i dont know what that word means...i dont think stringing 600 fiber optic cables is easy. im 17 for those intersted and have made everything in my room myself, including 2 walls. bought everything off ebay pretty much, including my projector which i got ripped on a little ( was supposed to have 1000 hours, has 4000 sadly). anyways, i dived into ht at age 15 with a xga projector that i scrounged off for $800, later selling it for double that. i bought and sold for some time, did about 10 projectors, and had a computer teaching position, and saved up for car, sold that realizing that driving a sports car in the winter was no fun, i went back to ht. this is where im at now. end of biography, time to go back to work

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
"I'm not going to point the finger here at anyone on this forum, but it seems to me that kids these days have it too easy"
Well, kids have the internet now. When I was a kid, the internet was still being used by professors and scientists. If I had all of this information at my fingertips, and a helpful forum like this one... I would be in the same situation as these youngsters.

Maybe you should say they have it easier because of the tools and technology, but they still have to mow lawns and work at Taco Bell to buy that FPTV. :)

BTW, nice setup Jamie. Are the frames in those plaques see through? Or does the color of the matting just match the walls? They look nice... I'm thinking of hocking my original DTS & DD plaques and making my own. The DD plaque is so much smaller than the DTS, it looks silly. (or I was thinking of stopping by my local cineplex with a screwdriver and make a couple restroom trips during the show. ;) )

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Well, if we are gonna talk about yourg people and their "stuff". I think technically I am still young at 26.

I had my first total surround sound setup @ 18 years old. (car accident settlement) :)

I have made every penny myself, and not to mention I have been married since 22, with 2 kids, and every bill that us grownups have to pay for since about 20. (rent, water, gas, car payment, insureance, daycare, etc etc etc.) I started helpdesk about 8 years ago. Been doing Network/System Admin for about 5 years now.

I have a couple DVD players to get first, (Denon 2900 and 1600) before I drop money and complete my setup with a FP.

Check out my setup! :)

http://slaggbot.0catch.com/Home%20Theater%20Page.html

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
The plaques have no background on them. I didn't print them the full size and that is the color of my wall behind it. I like it better that way anyways :) And pretty soon I am buying another sony sub cause you can never have to much bass lol

Jamie

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Adam Reiter
Systems Administrator
San Diego, CA
I thought you lived in Astoria, OR... Did you move?

I was hoping that I would be able to come and see your B4+ and Rockets the next time I go to the coast (if that would be alright with you, of course). I just got my PB2+ and I'm quite impressed with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks