What's new

My thanks to Gregg Loewen for a great job calibrating my sets... (1 Viewer)

Duane H

Agent
Gregg visited my home two days ago and spent about 8 hours calibrating two TV's -- a Toshiba 34HF81 direct view and a Pioneer SD-533HD5 RPTV.

I couldn't be home for the Tosh calibration but did arrive in time for the majority of the Pioneer's calibration. Gregg took the time to go over, in detail, everything he had done/was doing to the Tosh/Pioneer sets. As others who have utilized his services have stated, he was very patient and thoroughly answered all questions thrown his way.

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to technically describe the improvements he elicited from my sets, but they are clearly present. Suffice it to say, the depth and detail of the images on both sets is amazing, and considerably improved from pre-calibration levels.

Gregg went above and beyond the call of duty with my sets, especially the Pioneer. His work on that set included not only restacking of the infamous "glare" screen, gray scale and convergence adjustments for HD and DVD inputs, etc., but also lens striping, covering the highly reflective areas inside with black cloth, cleaning the lenses and mirror, and even attaching my newly purchased 6500K bias light to the rear of my set. I'm sure there are some things I've forgotten, and for that I apologize, Gregg.

In summary, I'm very grateful to Gregg for all he did to improve my HT experience. I'll echo others on this forum and say his services are HIGHLY recommended. Thanks again, Gregg!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
he'll be at my house on mondayand i can't wait.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Duane, I have the same the Tosh set as you and it looks great to me completely uncalibrated. I can only salivate over how good yours must look now.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I was luck enough to have Gregg work on my Toshiba TW40X81. It was the best money I have spent in a LONG LONG time!

[rant]I am kicking myself in the butt for not having it done sooner![/rant]

Duane H

Agent
JasonRH,

That's a good question. As Andrew_Sch pointed out, the picture on the Tosh direct view is great to begin with. Black levels and color accuracy DO appear improved to me after Gregg's calibration of this set, but I must admit the improvement is not as striking as that seen with the Pioneer RPTV. YMMV.

If I recall correctly, Gregg stated the convergence in the Tosh was slightly off, and there was nothing he could do to correct it. Apparently, direct view sets don't lend themselves to as many tweaks as RPTV's. The lesser charge for calibrating a direct view presumably reflects this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks