My Tempest Sonosub Pics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well finally got them back, scanned and up. Sorry about the quality on some of the pictures. Wasn't thinking when I took them. Flash was on under bright flourescent lights. So any of the pics of the completed sub are a little washed out and the colors are off a bit. It looks quite a bit better in person.
    Edit (deleted what was here)
    Danny Schaftlien was kind enough to do a quick page and provide some real webspace for my pics. You can check them out and the rather detailed write up about making the sub (read it if you are bored) here:
    http://ht.s5.com/Sonosub.html
    Thanks again to Danny for providing the space.

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Dustin,
    Nice work! [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Nice document. I suggest all planning a sono project take the trouble to download Dustin's file. Some new ideas here.

4. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Very impressive Dustin, nice to now there are a few ppl in Saskatoon that take part in this forum. I mentioned to a buddy of mine about the possiblity of making a sonosub since he is interested in one, so i check the diy forum and find that you just made one and that you're in the same city, very cool. Anyways a few questions for ya if thats ok, how much did the tempest cost you to get it here driver+tax,shipping,any other costs?? I was think of using a single shiva, should be easier to drive with an old receiver. Was the sonotub expensive or did you manage to get some leftover lengths for cheap. I'll send you a quick email with a few other questions.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Shane, see my email response for the answers to some of your questions. For others interested here are my costs.
    Tempest was $140 USD minus a 5% discount.
    AVA250 was $179 USD minus a 5% discount
    Shipping by UPS Standard (7day ground) was $40.90
    Which totals $343.95 USD. On my Visa this showed up as $540.84 CDN. Add to that $78.40 CDN for GST on Brokerage, Customs and COD, entry prep fee, disbursement fee, and COD surcharge and the total comes to $619.24 CDN.
    It was $40 for 12 feet. Shortest length they would sell. The 6" section 40 PVC pipe was $20. The threaded rod, nuts washers and coupling nuts were just under $30. The insulation and polyfill was just under $15. The MDF (4'x4') was $13. Stuff to mount the driver (widgets and screws) was $25. Fabric for the sock was $25. Silicon and Glue was about $15. Paint was about $25.
    So grand total approximately $830 CDN which is about $525 USD.
    Patrick,
    I did fit in the tube. It was just under 5' 4" long and it's actual inner diameter was 18.5". For reference I'm 5' 11 1/2" tall, weigh just under 200 pounds, have a 34" waist (hopefully back to just under 33" by the end of summer, gotta hit that stair climber) and wear a size 44 suit jacket.
    It wasn't all that bad (wasn't fun either though), but the shoulders were sore from straining to hold myself up while still maintaining control of the caulking gun. Had to do it in three sections because of the threaded rod. By the third one I learned it was much easier to have the caulking gun go out the bottom of my hand rather than the top. If I do it again, it will go much more easily and quickly.
    If you can't fit just borrow some scronny 13 year old kid on your street and stuff him into the tube with the caulking gun [​IMG]

7. Phil Olson

Phil Olson Stunt Coordinator

When I built my sonosub, I found caulk in an aerosol can at Home Depot. It holds just enough to do both ends of a 24" sonotube.
    It's only about 8" high and you just hold the nozzle against the corner, (where the tube meets the endcap), and press. The aerosol does the rest! It's like point and click.
    Much less wieldy than a big caulk gun, (or a thirteen year old [​IMG] ).
    Phil

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well the waiste line shouldn't really be the biggest problem, since it is generally rounder than the shoulders are [​IMG]
    So unless your waiste is much bigger than 50" (an 18.5" sonotube has a circumference of 59.5") you should be able to fit. I was actually able to stand inside the tube before I put the endcaps in and take my arms from above my head to beside my waist and back again without much trouble.
    Also I'm sure I saw a picture of you somewhere and I don't think your waiste can even be 40".