My tempest is killing my TV!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Simmons, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Rod Simmons

Rod Simmons Extra

First of all, let me say that I love my 122L sealed tempest sub. It rocks. I've had it about a month and have really had fun breaking it in. The last three days, however, I've noticed that the bass is making my my TV picuture contort. It seems to be getting worse. I've disabled my center channel and it still happens so it's definitely isolated to the sub's bass. The more I crank it up, the worse it gets. It's not the best TV in the world - 35" Magnavox, but I'd prefer not to shell out a few hundred bucks on a new one. Has anyone else experienced this before? Can it be remedied? Thanks in advance for any help!

Rod

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Can you move it further away from the TV?

3. Rod Simmons

Rod Simmons Extra

Patrick,

Thanks for the quick reply. I measured the distance from the corner of the sub to the TV and it's about 6 feet. If I were to move it to the other side of the couch, it would buy me another 5 feet. I might try that. Actually, that would put it more centrally located to both couches. I'll give it a try - if I have enough cable. Those cables aren't cheap. Thanks!

Rod

4. Rod Simmons

Rod Simmons Extra

Just in case anyone was questioning making one of these designs with a 250w PE amp, I have to straighten all pictures on the bottom floor of the house after watching a bassy movie like "We were soldiers" or LOTR! Just wanted to put in a plug for Adire and PE.

Rod

5. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I haven't had to straighten any pictures with my 10" Blueprint sub. That's b/c there aren't any pictures to straighten. My house is fairly bass-friendly, but I have had a computer case fall off the shelf in my closet during a very bassy passage. Luckily there was nothing inside (!) but the case was too damaged and I had to get rid of it.

6. Rod Simmons

Rod Simmons Extra

Just moved the sub and didn't seem to make much of a difference. Man, I forgot how heavy that thing is. I made it out of baltic birch. My back would really be hurting now if I would have done it with 1" mdf like I'd originally planned. Until I find a solution, I have it turned down below 1/4 on the gain. It was only up a tad over 1/3.

7. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Just a thought... could your sub be drawing more amps than the socket can supply? On bass heavy passages my sub will dim the lights that are on the same circuit, I'd think this could possibly cause the anomoly you are experiencing with your TV. Try plugging the sub into an outlet that is on a different circuit, use a heavy extension chord if you need to but give it a whirl and see if that is what's causing it. If it is you might need to run a separate circuit in there for the sub or TV.

Darren

8. Rod Simmons

Rod Simmons Extra

Darren,

Good idea. I'll give that a try when I get home this afternoon.

9. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

The bass could also be causing the aperature grill of your TV to vibrate. It may not be magnetic interference.

Seth

10. Rod Simmons

Rod Simmons Extra

Seth,

You may be right. I just moved the sub to it's own circuit and it had no effect. My TV is actually recessed in the wall above my fireplace so I would think that it would be less subject to vibration. I wonder if placing some kind of sound deadening mat under the TV would make a difference? I might try that next.

11. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Rod,

I don't think that vibration is being transferred to your TV. I suspect the sub is excited the natural resonant frequency of the aperature grill.

Seth

12. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I would try setting the TV on something to maybe absorb any vibration that might be transferred to it from its cabinet. Its a pretty easy solution, so worth a go.