What's new

my system is humming....how can i make it remember the words? (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i have a wicked hum in my system after a recent cable install. changing the coax cables did nothing nor did a cheater plug help. the hum is quite odd in that it is only comes through on the 6 channel input of my pre-pro. it's not the 6 channel cable either as i thoroughly checked that. what's odd about the hum is that if i connect a wire to the ground of my line conditioner and then touch the other end of the wire to the diplexer, the hum gets far my quiet though still present and noticeable. my only guess is it's a ground loop hum and i order a xantech ground breaker so hopefully that will help. anybody got any other ideas as to what it might be if it's not a ground loop? thanks.

kevin t

John S

Senior HTF Member
Iknow it sounds crazy and somewhat dangerous.

But in the peskiest of ground loop hums, I have actually eliminated all grounds completely with good success.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
john...i bought 4 ground lifters from home depot this evening and installed them on my pre and all my amps. the hum is gone. i guess i'll test the xantech ground breaker when it arrives and if it removes the hum, i won't reinstall the ground lifters. one question, all my equipment is plugged into a panamax max 2000 which is grounded out the outlet. is there still a possibility that the amps and pre could become live even though they are plugged into a grounded line conditioner. just wondering. thanks.

kevin t

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I take it you meant things started happening after the TV or satellite cable was installed, yes? If so, it may not have been grounded properly. You've a couple of options. First you can contact the cable company and see if they'll do something about it. Else, you can look into products that go in-line (Mondial, Jensen) which essentially break the ground on the incoming cable. There's a few models out depending upon the frequencies that you're passing.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
chu...i had satellite previously. i recently had a cable modem installed and added local channels through mediacom as well. this is when the hum started. i have a xantech ground breaker on the way which is an inline group loop isolator. hopefully, it'll take care of the problem as i'd prefer to not lift the ground on my amps.

kevin t

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you have separates, I have three stereo Ebtech Hum Eliminators which when installed between your pre and amp will safely and effectively remove the ground loop. I had a mean ground hum with my last house when I installed a new refrigerator, and these boxes eliminated it immediately. However, in the new house I don't need them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks