What's new

My system buzzes no matter what input I choose! (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
i recently noticed that my system produces a low buzzing noise no matter what input i choose as long as something is connected to that input.
i hope that makes sense...
so, for example, my receiver does not buzz when i choose phono or video 3, since nothing is connected on the back. but every other input produces the buzz.
a couple of other things...
the buzz seems most prevalent when my volume knob is around the nine o-clock position. also, if the component is not powered on, then i don't think there is a buzz. it seems to happen only when i select the component and turn it on.
so, since it happens regardless of what input i select, it would seem logical that something is up with my receiver and not necessarily my wiring or inter-connects? i can't figure out what could be causing it.
i don't think it's my wiring...
i have all my power running down one side of the rack and all my interconnects running down the other. i also have everything plugged into a pretty decent kensington power-strip. i'm using rat-shack gold series & monster-cable for all my connections.
any ideas?
tia

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Check your speaker cables to ensure they are not grounding out on each other at the terminal posts. Other than that, the only thing I can think of would be a bad component cable somewhere in your configuration ~ make sure they are all plugged in well too. Let us know what you figure out.

Danny Owens

Agent
I would also check:

1) That none of your audio line level interconnects are running in close proximity to any wall warts (the transformer power supplies that plug into the wall). Also make sure none are draped across the power supply section of other components.

2)Remove your cable signal wire and see if it goes away.

3)If you have any components that do not have polarized plugs (unlikly), try reversing them in the recepticle.

4)Make sure all of your components are plugged into the same power source. Plugging into different sockets around the room can cause a ground loop.

Danny

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks guys.
clinton - my speakers are not grounding out. i also use banana plugs on all connections so i'm sure there are no stray wires floating around. also, i don't think it's a specific cable since i get the buzzing on all inputs.
danny - i didn't think about your second suggestion regarding the cable signal wire. i'm guessing you mean the 75ohm coax cable? what's the significance there?
i'm pretty conscientous about crossing electrical and signal wiring and everything is plugged into one surge strip.
:)

Danny Owens

Agent
Ted,

The cable company has an earth ground in their splitter at the street. Your system has an earth ground tied to your neutral at your breaker panel. Ground is simply a common reference point for a given circuit. If there is any difference between your cable ground and house ground, then there will be a voltage potential and thus currents flowing from one ground to the other; that's what causes the 60 hz buzzing. Two different ground points on a system is usually a problem.

If this does turn out to be the problem, there a several solutions available to you.

Danny

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks danny! i'll check out the cable issue and if i determine that's the problem then i'll hit ya up! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks