My SVS16-46pc is rattling...usual suspects??

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Derrik Draven, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I finally; after 2 years, have finished my dedicated home theater room. [​IMG]

It's not THAT awesome, I'm just slow and not all that rich so, that's why it took 2 years.

Anyhoo...I moved my svs from the temporary position upstairs, placed it downstairs and started calibrating.

I was very careful so I didn't drop it or beat the crap out of it while moving. Took great care. It had an easy move. They're not very heavy to carry anyway.

As I was demo-ing movies, I started to notice the rattle.

It would happen at each and every low end thump. It would be a thump mixed with a slight rattle.

Even if I turned down the level, it would then be a nice subdued thump accompanied by a subdued rattle.

Sort of sounds like a loose item being vibrated and causing a rattling sound but, I checked all around. Everything is tight and, it is DEFINITELY coming from the SVS.

I'm at work right now and, I'm going to be taking the sub apart when I get home to try and figure out what's making that absolutely IRRITATING rattle!!!!! [​IMG] I was just wondering if any of you guys have a good guess as to what might be causing this problem so that I can check there 1st.

I'm sure you guys understand the irritation of hearing something that you shouldn't be during movies!

I seriously doubt that I've overdone it on the svs. To this very day I can honestly say I've NEVER heard the gut wrenching, loud "CLACKKKK" sound the drivers supposedly make when they bottom out.

BTW, I checked the grill...it's tight.

Oh yeah, on another tangent, my sub has now begun to pull in a local radio station....[​IMG] I noticed it last night after I shut everything off. I could hear music being played softly. Traced it right back to the sub. Coming right out of it. I could even feel the driver moving ever so slightly. Hell...I even shut the master power switch off on my Outlaw 1050. It was STILL making sounds so I know it wasn't any bleed through from the receiver.

....my SVS seemed to like the upstairs better...[​IMG]

2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Derrik,

Check the ports, I have heard of one that came loose causing such a sound. As far as the radio bleed thru, I am at a loss? I have never heard of this before.

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I guess you didn't know, this is the latest no cost upgrade from SVS[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It sounds like something is loose or rattling around, or something happened to the driver. [​IMG]

Nontheless, contact SVS, they'll help you through whatever is wrong a LOT better than we could. That's what makes their CS so valuable.

5. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

just move the sub to another place and see if it still rattles the same way. its pretty common for the rattle to be from something else, even when it sounds like the sub is doing it.

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Derrik,

How large was the old room, and how large is the new room?

And the advice about moving the subwoofer is on target, laying it on a chair or sofa for testing might help. Sometimes the floor or the wall very near the subwoofer will have a loose joint/stud and you'd swear it was coming from the subwoofer. If it does end up coming from the subwoofer, then it is likely a driver giving out. Which DVD scenes seem to worsen the noise the most?

If you need a new driver, don't worry...we can have a replacement on the way to you within 24 hours.

Tom V.
    SVS

7. Gregory M

Gregory M Auditioning

I had this happen to my CS+. I agree it is probably from the port. Remove the grill and check the phillips screws on the ports to see if they are loose. Just snug them and the rattle should disappear. If that doesn't work it may be the grill rattling and you may need to 'shim' the grill by placing a little more foam under the grill. Good luck

8. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

9. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

10. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

There is a felt pad that is glued on the sub. That is where mine started to rattle. I took the sub out and that is how I found that piece. It is there so the 2 wires don't slap against the sub.....check it out...

11. Derrik Draven

Chris
    Tom - the old room was about 15 X 15. The new room is 12 X 33.

I've seriously lost alot of bass response but, it's pretty obvious why.

And, after I went home last night, for the 1st time ever, I started to hear the svs bottoming out. It was pretty unmistakeable: a noticeable clunking noise. Maybe I was overdoing it?

When you have a monster 16-46 in a small room, the bass response is bone rattlingly awesome!!!! The drawback is that you definitely get spoiled.

My response in this big room now is probably much better than "Joe Sixpack" has ever heard but, I've stepped waaaay down from the small room.

SO....I will; in fact, be ordering a new driver but I think strongly that I need another svs.

Last question: Is the difference in performance so great between an 16-46pc and a 16-46pc+ that you can't mix the 2? I would like to order a Plus and hook it up with my current 16-46. My current model does have the upgraded driver but some have stated that the performance difference is too great to balance out the 2 and make sure one is cancelling out the others soundwave. I guess if the performance difference between the 2 is too great, no amount of phase adjustment will bring the 2 in symphony with each other?

As for the radio station being induced into the sub, so much for buying one of Monster Cables top of the line cables specifically made for subs. I could've swore it stated that it was shielded...????

Thanks for the help guys.

12. Derrik Draven

Chris
    Tom V. - I just went to your site to order a new 1646pc+ and it seems that all you guys take is American Express???

Please tell me you take Visa. [​IMG]

13. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Derrik,
    They take Visa, that's how i paid.

14. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Derrik,
    When my HT was expanded by a mere 15 sq feet I notice my PC+ were bottoming out. I emailed Tom and he asked me to re-calibrate them. after taking the time in performing the calibration they sounded great and were not bottoming out.

I am sorry if you are trying to justify buying another sub. let me rephrase my comment.

When my HT was exanded by a mere 15 sq feet I notice my PC+s were bottoming out. I emailed Tom and he asked me to re-calibrate them. After taking the time to recal it didn't get any better, so I ordered 2 PB2+, heaven again.

Scott

15. Derrik Draven

Chris
    Scott - thanks for the input. [​IMG]

I haven't really been following much on the svs box designs. Are they really that much superior? Just trying for that holy grail of bottomless low end with serious "oomph" in sound pressure.

btw Scott, how big was your room in sq/ft? Mine isn't massive like some of these guys have but, it is almost 400 sq/ft exactly. One long rectangle with a concrete subfloor. No open areas. Both (when I get the new one) svs's in the 2 front corners.

16. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Derrik,

My room is about 300 sq feet, 7.5 foot ceilings in the cellar so a cement floor.

I sometimes think the 2 PB2s in the small room are too much, but well the volume is at very low volumes the bass doesn't get lost like I experienced with the PC+.

The PB2+ are unbelievable. If I was looking to purchase a set of SVS PC+ or box I would not hesitate in jumping on the dual set up of the PBisd.

I never understood what people in the forums meant by subs not struggling to push the bass. With the dualies the amps are not working that hard and with the 2 subs there is a whole lot of deep rich bass.

My friends have commented the bass is deeper and more powerful. Not to take away from the PC+ the dual PB2+ are simply fantastic.

I love the looks of the tubes but love the sound of the box.

Which one is better? Well the only way you will be disappointed is if you don't get an SVS. SVS offers the MOST for your hard earned money.

17. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Headroom is a very good thing. I run three 25-31 cs+'s and find that it (headroom) adds clarity and depth to no end. They just glide in my 2880 cubic ft HT.

18. Curt Jett

Curt Jett Agent

Do you have spikes installed on your sub? I had them on my two 20-39 cs's at first on a slab floor with padded carpet and they rattled like crazy. Took off the spikes and everything was fine. I thought that might be the case since you said you moved them down stairs.

19. Derrik Draven

Chris
    That's a good point Curt, but unfortunately that isn't it. I still can't get that damn rattle to stop so, I'm sending back my driver for a replacement.

I also purchased an svs16-46pc+. Curious to see how 2 of those will do. If they're not quite the oomph I was hoping for, I'll just have to live with it for awhile.

My target date of 3 more years is going to see a major upgrade in my ht. New tv, new pream, amp...and if needed, 2 new svs's. Perhaps the box's next time.

20. Curt Jett

Curt Jett Agent

I think after you get your second sub hooked up and calibrated you will be very impressed with the oomph.
    Let us know how you like them.