What's new

My SVS dims the lights - anything I can do? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I guess I haven't used the SVS 25-31PC+ sub too much with the lights on - mostly just movies at nite. Tonite I noticed that when the sub hits, the lights in the house (at least in that room) will dim slightly. I have also noticed that when the AC/heat in the house kicks on, the same thing will happen.

So I guess I have a question or two for you electrical engineers and/or electricians. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Its not a huge problem, but I'm still curious. My second question would be - is this normal? This is a new construction home built this summer. I think we have a fairly hefty electrical pannel, but with the lights dimming via the sub and the AC, etc, is this something I should possibly talk to the builder about while we're under warranty? Is there even anything that can possibly be done?

Thanks!
Aaron

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I think a seperate circuit for the sub and possible the other electronics in the room would solve this.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Wow...I had no idea. THis is an upstairs bonus room. I can't even imagine what it would take to get something like that done.
Well, thank you for the info. I was hoping a power conditioner or something might take care of it. :)
Aaron

BrianKR

Second Unit
If you don't want to go thru the aggravation or expense of an electrician, just steal power from a bordering room. I did this before for my wife when she bought a tanning bed and it kept blowing the circuit.
Get an extension cord, a 1/4" wide drill bit, drill and some electrical tape or buy a separate female connection for the extension cord, drill a hole, cut the wire, splice together, plug it into the other rooms outlet (check first to make sure its on a different circuit:) ) and problem solved.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
The lights should be out during movies anyway, with the exception of a backlight. ;)
But really, see if you can run the sub or split the equipment to run off a different circuit. Otherwise, have an electricial check into it.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
turn it down? :D
sorry - not much help, still wishing Santa would turn around and bring my SVS back!

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
The lights you report are on a "dimmer"; Aren't they?

Dimmer circuits, by nature, are very sensitive to input AC variations. If this really "bugs" you, the fix is to separate the feed to the sub from the dimmer.

Best regards.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
John, Yes, in fact, the lights ARE on a dimmer switch. Interesting.....

Again, like I said, not a big deal, but I wanted to see if there was anything I could do.

I think I'm still going to ask the builder about the whole house dimming when the AC and heat go on.

Aaron

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
In the mean time dont worry about it, all lights on a "dimmer" as mentioned will change brightness at the drop of a hat, good that you are going to discuss it with a pro.
I have chased some of these problems for years, sometimes thats just the way it is. You are not tripping breakers are you? Have you added up everything on the circuit (power consumption)? At peak values, take watts divide by voltage to get amps. Example= TV=500watts(guessing) amps=1800 watts light bulbs 5@60=300or a total of 2600watts/120volts=21.7 amps, kind of rough but can make you think. . .

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
You can invite your buddies over and high-five everytime the lights dim
:D
I would not the the extension cord thing. There is a good chance the neighboring rooms are on the same circiut. Talk to your builder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks