My SVS CS+ Impressions (long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe-T, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a pair of 16-46CS+ subs and an S1000 amp as soon as they came out. I actually got serial#s 00002 and 00003. I went through the same routine as others with taking the day off and waiting from 11:00a.m. till 5:30p.m. when UPS finally arrived. The UPS guy actually only had the S1000 and said that was all he had, urggggggg. At aboout 6:30p.m. he came back and had the tubes, they were loaded on another truck, whew. I also had to run out and get the cheater plugs for the amp.

I currently live in an apt complex and cannot play them very loud. Then why did I get dual CS+? I wanted them primarily for their clean output and I knew that I would move soon and eventually want dual subs, so I decided to get them both now in a package deal. Because I can't play them hard, I originally wasn't going to write a review, but I decided to write from a different standpoint.

Initial impression - this is extremely clean and articulate bass. I now hear so many different nuances in the sub bass region that I never heard before. I can hear each individual bass note being plucked and the correct timbre and tonality of the instruments being reproduced. Compared to the main speakers only, the sub is just as transparent and accurate but with the lower octaves being presented. There is no boominess or one noteness, and it is not slow at all. Even at low volumes, I can hear all these details. They also blend effortlessly with my mains. With freq. sweeps and scales being played on a string bass, the transition is very smooth. I love feeling the subsonic bass and hearing the walls rattling, but no audible bass. Great for organ works.

I have read some reports that the SVS bass is a little "slow" and not the best for music, but I think that's a matter of their perception. Many "musical" subs are somewhat peaky in the 50-80Hz region. This gives the impression of very percussive bass with "slam". With the SVSs, all those qualities are there, but it is not exaggerated. The reponse is very flat and thus the bass has the percussive qualities along with the really low tones. These extremely low bass notes can give the impression of "slow", but it's actually accurate, even bass, and at such wavelengths is supposed to be "slow". I think the term "musical" is often overused and represents deviations from what is pure and accurate, albeit they can be pleasing to the ear. But these subs please my ears while including the entire spectrum accurately. I find the SVSs to be very good with music, even at low listening levels.

I'm not going to say much about these subs with movies because I think many others have reviewed them from that standpoint. But, these are powerful subs, and very easily pressurize the room and my ear canals. I'd take the SVS bass in a HT over that from the local theaters anyday, and there are some very nice thaters in my area.

These are just some of my non-audiophile impressions of these subs. Your opinions may differ, but I thought I'd share them anyways.

2. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Joe, nice review. Did you upgrade from another SVS or are these your first? I'm just curious if you heard any differences from the older model.

3. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

These are my first SVS subs. I originally had the Velodyne CT-120 which is not even worth comparing to the SVS. All the high end subs that I've heard have been at dealers, also making it unfair to compare since I can't do it directly. From what I've read, it seems that there really isn't be much of a difference between SVS subs other than tuning, max SPLS, and enclosure/finish (for SS subs). I think some others on this forum have made such direct comparisons though.

4. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Joe so thats what I heard rumbling over here....it was you when i gave my Dual SVS 16-46's a rest. Glad to hear you like them...I am thinking about getting the upgrade kits for my subs to turn them into the + models. Ahhh the joys of upgrading!

5. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

You should definitely go for the upgrades if you can. It's a great deal, very generous of SVS.

6. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

7. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Not to mention the + series uses a tri-port system.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Right, the driver upgrades helps the cs close the performance gap a bit...but the PLUS series still has some definite advantages.(including the 70% more port area advantage mentioned).

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the SVs Joe,I think you've pretty much nailed a lot of the *musical* bass ghost.

TV