What's new

My surround sound music app (album) for Apple TV (1 Viewer)

JeffPerrin

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Hi All,

Adam gave me permission to post this here - I've got something a little different for you to check out. It's an iOS app called "Home Theater Ear Candy." I combined my love for surround audio and 20+ years of experience as a professional musician/guitarist to compose and produce music specifically for playback in the home theater environment.* (I guess I got tired of waiting for someone else to do it!!! : )

*What this means is that this album was a true, multichannel project from the onset. Working in my 5.1-equiped writing studio, the compositional process and surround mixing process became interdependent and intertwined with one-another.

Whether you buy the app or not, I would really appreciate some feedback on the overall concept from fellow home theater enthusiasts. App store link is here: AppStore.com/HomeTheaterEarCandy Website here: www.hometheaterapp.com

What do you think? Cool idea? Or am I stone-cold crazy?

Jeff

P.S. Thanks, Adam!

app_icon (smaller).png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Finally got around to this again this morning and only then that I understood that this is an, Er, -premium- app. Without a bit more detail I'm kinda scratching my head at the $12 price. I get that you put a lot of effort into this app but tying it to AppleTV and having no idea about the actual sound content is a huge red flag for any potential buyer. I'd suspect a free app with intro material and unlock able content via IAP might fly a lot higher...The short clip of generic metal in the video was also not helping. Is that representative of the music in the App?I guess I just don't get the justification needed for the leap of faith needed to commit to this purchase. If you were an established musician I enjoy I'd still hesitate at the cost, for someone I'd never heard of its a non starter.Sorry to be harsh but that's my honest feedback.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I started watching the video clip, and turned it off as soon as I heard the metal. Looking at the App on iTunes makes me think this is a multi-media album being sold under the guise of an App, targeted at the Apple audience. Interesting idea I suppose, but I’m out.

JeffPerrin

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the honest feedback guys. Being my first app, there's been a huge learning curve all around and the PR material is no exception.

Regarding the music: There's a wide range of rock stylings on here, so yes, the teaser video track may not be the best representation of the project. But I'm pretty clear in all descriptive text that this is a rock-based music project and highly reflective of my classic-rock musical influences. (Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Ozzy, etc.) Regardless, I am working on a more informational video.

Regarding the price: It's a new kind of product, so it only goes that I need to experiment with the pricing. Currently, I have free in-app downloads in place so I have to cover server costs for the fairly large file downloads that will occur in the coming months. If I "switch off" the free content, I could lower the price quite a bit... Sam, I do agree some sort free "trial" should be available. I actually intend to release a free "sampler version" of the app along a similar vein next month. (not quite ready for IAP programming yet)

@Richard Editing your original comment above; "this is a multi-media album App, targeted at the Apple audience" would be a more accurate statement. Yes, it's full of multi-media, and yes, it's an app targeted at the Apple audience. This is because iOS and the Apple TV is currently the ONLY way to present Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from a tablet or phone. (at lease when I started the project, it was. Not sure if Chromecast can support it quite yet...)

​Sam, I was under the impression you had the promo code I sent in. I will post one for you below, along with a couple more in hopes of collecting additional feedback.

iTunes promo codes are listed here. Just post back to this thread let us know you claimed it. Thanks!

ARTLMTWHXEWJ

L7FRH4R93T9R

JX4HRW3XMX9E

- Jeff

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Jeff, I'm torn here, I hope you don't think I was begging for a code. Since you posted them publicly I did redeem the first one, ARTletc and I thank you for that and as promised I will do a review of it and give it a fair evaluation.But.. My comments on the pricing remain regardless of whether I actually ever tried the app myself or not. You are pitching to a very niche audience (those who have both iPad and Apple TV and want to hear experimental 5.1 music from a virtually unknown artist). I know it's very uncomfortable to talk about pricing on apps and I personally have not relished the race to the bottom mentality that apps have faced. Accounting for bandwidth costs for each user has to happen too, I get that those costs have to be covered somehow.But let's think of this as something similar, say a 5.1 sampler Bluray. I can count the number of those that I have bought on one hand and only with heavy research or high recommendations from fellow enthusiasts. I've never once been the first guy to say 'that album looks cool, lemme be the first guy to give it a shot', tho I do take chances on Amazon a LOT when they prop up new artists at big discounts, I think that's pretty reasonable.I hate to pooh pooh others passion projects, dreams and hard work, I don't enjoy being 'that guy' but ultimately I think you are going to face a tough haul here at that price even if it's the best thing any of us have ever heard.

JeffPerrin

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Hi Sam,

No worries. This is exactly the sort of feedback that I need to help fine-tune my efforts!

Jeff

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still haven't bought the Blue Man Group 5.1 DVD or the recent Hans Zimmer surround sound Superman soundtrack app.A 40 min "album" app that requires an AppleTV, from an unknown amateur, for $12? No way. Not unless places like The Verge are reporting it's the best surround sound experience demo ever. You might expand your options by also selling your music in iTunes as a normal album & singles. And consider a free app, ad-supported. Or as Sam suggested, with one song free and the rest in-app.I wish you the best of luck.

JeffPerrin

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately, the app model of distribution allows for fluidity both in content and pricing. So unlike a manufactured disc, I am free to make adjustments to the model and work it out as I go!

I definitely am working on a way for folks to get a free preview. However, I've been a little more hesitant at releasing stereo versions online; the music was specifically recorded and produced for surround and that's how I really want the music to be heard. Still trying to work that one out...

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks