What's new

My subwoofer dilemma, paradigm/svs (1 Viewer)

Ok, so I went an heard a few subs and decided so far I like the paradigm ps1000 best. I also have mini monitors, so if it really does make a difference, they should blend really well. The problem is I want to wiegh all my options, so I need to hear an equivlent svs sub. The probelm is I can't go to a dealer to hear one. I know I could get the svs sub and return it within 45 days, but I would still have to pay shipping. The paradigm dealer near me allows me to take a sub home for 7 days to try it out. I was thinking I could get both and try them in my home, then return the one I like the least. However, the paradigm is $100 cheaper (U.S.) in Canada, and since I am near the border, I would want to go there to get it. So if I bought the sub hear to try out, I would return it no matter what. I feel sort of bad buying a sub from a shop knowing I am going to return it. Since I can't make decisions for myself, what do you guys think? O, and which svs would be equivlent to the paradigm ps1000?

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Michael,
I don't own an SVS (but one day I shall), but I'm very familiar with the Paradigm product line. If you have the money to buy a 25-31PCi or 25-31CS + amp, they would perform quite a bit better than the Paradigm PS-1000.
From everything I've heard about the SVS units, they would play louder, cleaner and lower than the PS-1000. If you were looking at the Paradigm PW-2200 or Servo-15, it would be a harder decision.
I can almost guarantee that you will want a new sub within a year or so if you go with the PS-1000. While it's a decent sub, you can get better for a little more money.
P.S. Ok, Ron and Tom, where's my payment for this sales pitch? :)

I should also add that I live in a frat house every other 3 months and the sub will be in a room about 16'x8'. Since I am moving often, size does matter, although very little. My budget is around $500. O, and once I buy this, my spending on HT is done for a few years, really, I swear. I need to start saving for my z06 sometime

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
IMO every model SVS offers is a not very subtle step above the PS1000. The 25-31PCi would compete just fine with the PW2200.

The Servo15 will go lower louder than the 25-31PCi or the PW2200, but above 25hz both will outgun a Servo15. The biggest strength of the Servo15 is its' servo control which some people really like sound quality wise.

well, I made the pludge, I just ordered a 20-39PCi. I think I still may bring home the ps1000 to compare the two, but from what I heard I think I know which I will be keeping. This addiction to great sound is going to bankrupt me soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks