What's new

My subwoofer arrived, now need help. (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I just got my blueprint 1503 sub today. Actually came pretty quick. I ordered it last friday and got it at 1:30pm today. And I'm in Canada. Also got some 18" sonotube.

It will be in a 160l enclosure with a 6", 26" long port. I also bought a 1200watt amp for $350 off a friend of mine. What I'm wondering now is Do I need an eq with this sub or will it be fine without? Oh yeah, I also got an Energy EAC subcrossover. I was also wondering if I need dual flared ports or if a single flare is enough? The reason I ask is I can't find 6" flared ports anywhere. Even the single flare would have to be made out of the top of the mdf.

A

Anthony_Gomez

So what do you think of your new sub=) Gotta love blue print service. Always quick on their order.
As for an EQ, you will definately need one with ANY high inductance driver. This almost always applies to all high excursion drivers. With the 1503, there will be a big ~10db hump centered around 60-70hz. I would recommend you get the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro (a digital parametric EQ). It has 12 programmable parametric eqs per channel with 10 memory channels for saving different configurations. If you are looking at the ultimate slam, then the configuration you mentioned will work. I suggest that you use double thick (2" total) MDF caps. As for ports, check out Link Removed They mention a source for 6" flares under their Arial15 clone. They are pricey at $60 a pair though! Since it looks like you have the space and power, if you want more extended lows (10-14hz), cleaner sound, but less overall output, you could try a Linkwitz transform. You could have a 90L enclosure and still have considerable output.
A couple of things to remember, subtract that port volume and driver displacement volume!....it is a lo for that setup. Also, a 6" port is what I would minimally recommend WITH flares. If you got a big round over bit, you can make that happen at one end without too much pain (and $$)
have fun!

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the advice. The Eq. will have to wait until after Chistmas. As for the flared mdf I just took the ratio of flare dia. to port dia. of a 4" port and applied it to a 6" port. $60 seems alot for a port though.

John LaB

Agent
FYI-

I am building a 175L sonosub with a tempest. Dan W from adire audio recomended a dual flared 4", which I am going with. My box will be tuned to 17hz, but i'll only be putting 250-500W through it.

I ordered my dual flared port from adire for 20 or so.

-jpl

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yep the dual flares are a little pricy US$50/pr+shipping, but worth every penny IMO. The AeroPort flares open to 9.25" in diameter. It's going to be very hard to get that amount of opening with MDF using a roundover bit.
As far as I know Link Removed is the source for the AeroPort flares and they are the only 6" flares available.
High excursion drivers like the 1503 can move tons of air. The last thing you want are problems with 'chuffing' or port compression. So I seriously suggest getting a pair of the 6" flares. Or move up to a 8" straight port but that will be really long.
The 1503 isn't going to effectively play below 18Hz. So use that for your tuning, and don't try to EQ below the port tuning. That makes for real problems because the driver and the port become out of phase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks