My Sub Test

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulW, Sep 6, 2001.

1. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

Hi. Interested in what my subs numbers where I did the following.
    1)Used Goldwave to generate sin wavs from 10 Hz – 2500 Hz
    2)I then burned them to CD
    3)I Grabed my Radio Shake SPL Meter, placed it at listening position, and played the CD taking notes of the meter number. Here are the results from 10 Hz to 30 Hz
    HzRefNormal
    Ref here is the Ref dial setting on my Onkyo 777, I never listen at this level (to loud).
    Normal here is the level I normally listen at (on the 777 dial reading 46)
    Note here that my bass management is set to 93 DB (I didn’t know what level until I took the test). Why? My whole entertainment center is shaking at this level. I need to take some levels with the Bass Management off. Also, I had all other speakers turned off. These readings were taken with the receiver set to Stereo as my CD is stereo. I’m sure my method is flawed but that’s what I did. What should I do different?
    PaulW

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Paul, if you're trying to check for freq-response...try this...
    calibrate the subs normally first...and it shouldn't matter if you turn off all the other speakers are not...but keep them to small.(unless you're using a LFE specific test tone...you might HAVE to keep them to small).
    Pick a lower output level...say something that reads 75dB or so in the 40-60hz rnage on the subs. Then run tests at various freqs. DON't change ANY of the volume controls...just keep noting the SPL changes at your seat.
    TV