My sub lived through Ladder 49

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alan M, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Last weekend I watched the "Incredibles".The weekend before I watched "Flight of the Pheonix".

This weekends movie was"Ladder 49".After the two previous weekends,I was expecting good sound but not expecting low hard hits as in the 2 prior movies.Boy o Boy,was I mistaken.

1st,I'll mention that I'm using an Athena P-2 sub(in the process of building an IB sub).Ladder has a good story,enjoyable movie to watch.I'm watching this at -17 on my prepro.Within the first 5 minutes,there are numerous explosions that made my sub and shakers work and work hard.

There are scenes in this movie(buildings crashing in,firey explosions)that hit so hard,I said to the wife numerous times"well,that killed the sub".
    My sub,according to Athena will hit the 25hz mark.I was almost willing to bet money It died during quite a few scenes.Of course it was hard to tell considering the shakers were moving my couch across the room,[​IMG] .

If you dont live in earthquake country like I do and arent afraid of the neighbors calling the USGS for a seismic(sp) activity report,watch Ladder 49[​IMG]

2. Dean_M

Dean_M Second Unit

What a coinkydink, I watched "Ladder 49" and "The Incredibles" last night. I wasn't too concerned about my sub kicking the bucket though; it didn't even break a sweat. [​IMG]

3. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Your sub would be?

4. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I didn't get the feel of seismic activity on Ladder 49 either.
    I'm starting to think this whole concrete floor sucks. Thank God I'm building a house with wood floor joists in the basement.

Servo 15, flat eq, level matched.

5. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Keep in mind my old house was built in 42.nope ,not 1842[​IMG] .
    It is built on a wood subfloor.I've seen many(not all) concrete floors here in Cali crack from major earthquakes.I have the bonus of a raised wood floor with the disadvantages of an old house.

I'm sure if I touched the floor with my hand during some of the explosions,I'd have felt strong vibrations[​IMG]

6. Dean_M

Dean_M Second Unit

PB12-Plus/2

7. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

For some reason Ladder 49 didn't produce much of a sub workout for me. Do you have all your speakers properly calibrated?

8. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Hi Kurt,
    All speakers(5 Maggies),and my sub have been calibrated using my prepros test tones and the S&V dvd in conjunction with my Rat shack meter.

Maybe it was my aura pro shakers giving me that illusion of deep bass,but they arent tuned more then a little hot(they are tuned by feel),Hmm[​IMG]

9. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I have mine calibrated also, I guess it just differs from one setup to the next.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I have my setup in a room with cement floors. My IB subs (2 - 15" drivers) have no issues delivering the bass. Then again, my walls are all 2x4" construction and no cement was used on those walls. I personally think it would be downright scary if I were to have my IB setup in a main level room of all-wood constructiong. Yikes! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Concrete slab here but I definitely FEEL lfe quite a bit. Although I do have shakers, I keept them turned down since the PB2+ shakes so much itself...being a basshead, I do have my sub a couple of db HOT and love it!.......Ladder 49 was a pretty good shaker in itself......

12. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

im watching incredibles tomorrow, ive got an atlas 15 getting 250 watts,

Incredibles? bring it on