My sub is popping!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Loomis, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Paul Loomis

Paul Loomis Auditioning

I have a fairly new Sony SA-WM40 sub attached to a Kenwood VR-6050 receiver and have been experiencing a loud (very annoying) popping noise during movies. Cable movies mostly (HBO,etc.). My guess is line surge.

Right now my system is plugged into two inexpensive six plug powerstrips. Do I need a line conditioner? I know Monster Power has them from $200 to $1500. I can't afford them, I just know thew make them. Any suggestions for a newbie in this wonderful world of techno gagetry?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Paul,

Describe the "popping" sound a little more. Is it during very loud passages? How is you sub set up? Did you calibrate your system? Give us a little more info.

3. Paul Loomis

Paul Loomis Auditioning

Brian,

The popping sound could also be described as a thump. I noticed the sub made the same noise when I turned on an overhead fan in the same room. I've mostly noticed the noise duing dialog scenes in a movie (a fairly quiet moment).

The sub has three settings:
    Level- set at half to three quarters
    Phase- normal
    Cut Off Freq- between 120Hz and 150Hz (recommended by Sony for speakers 8 - 15 cm dia.)

The receiver has a subwoofer re-mix setting which is set to on. I dont know what the seting is for but the manual did not specify; only an on or off option.

As for calibration, I'm not quite sure I understand that other than the speaker and sub settings in the Kenwood and Sony manuals.

I know this is not much to go on, but I don't think any one at Best Buy can answer this question. So I am asking the Forum instead.

Thank you for your reply.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

A popping sound when a fan or something else is turned on can be helped or eliminated by a good filter-suppressor, if the interference is coming from the AC line.

The pop could also be induced in the receiver-sub connection.

Running the sub's volume as low as practical and the receiver's sub out higher, will help this problem.