What's new

My sub is popping! (1 Viewer)

Paul Loomis

Auditioning
I have a fairly new Sony SA-WM40 sub attached to a Kenwood VR-6050 receiver and have been experiencing a loud (very annoying) popping noise during movies. Cable movies mostly (HBO,etc.). My guess is line surge.

Right now my system is plugged into two inexpensive six plug powerstrips. Do I need a line conditioner? I know Monster Power has them from $200 to $1500. I can't afford them, I just know thew make them. Any suggestions for a newbie in this wonderful world of techno gagetry?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

Describe the "popping" sound a little more. Is it during very loud passages? How is you sub set up? Did you calibrate your system? Give us a little more info.

Paul Loomis

Auditioning
Brian,

The popping sound could also be described as a thump. I noticed the sub made the same noise when I turned on an overhead fan in the same room. I've mostly noticed the noise duing dialog scenes in a movie (a fairly quiet moment).

The sub has three settings:
Level- set at half to three quarters
Phase- normal
Cut Off Freq- between 120Hz and 150Hz (recommended by Sony for speakers 8 - 15 cm dia.)

The receiver has a subwoofer re-mix setting which is set to on. I dont know what the seting is for but the manual did not specify; only an on or off option.

As for calibration, I'm not quite sure I understand that other than the speaker and sub settings in the Kenwood and Sony manuals.

I know this is not much to go on, but I don't think any one at Best Buy can answer this question. So I am asking the Forum instead.

Thank you for your reply.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
A popping sound when a fan or something else is turned on can be helped or eliminated by a good filter-suppressor, if the interference is coming from the AC line.

The pop could also be induced in the receiver-sub connection.

Running the sub's volume as low as practical and the receiver's sub out higher, will help this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks