What's new

My sub is moving (1 Viewer)

Charbel

Agent
On my new hardwood floor it must be slippery. It sounds like a creaking sound when i put the volume up. Should I put a big weight on it? It`s a Paradigm Servo 15. When I go sit on it the sound goes away. Also my floor is very "bouncy" it`s not the most rigid thing in the world so what could be done about that regarding spikes or no spikes. I currently have spikes for my main speaker stands.

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Charbel,
Spikes are the worst thing you could do IMO.
If the sub has the space on its current feet do this.
Add one soft rubber stick on square (the kind you can get at Walmart or Home Depot) to each leg. These things are about 1/8" thick and can also be found in "Dots" that look something like a gumdrop.
Your sub will have a bit of compliant "wiggle" to it but I'll be you $1 that it stops moving around and should stop with the floor effects too. If that doesn't work, just plop the sub on a thick throw rug, one with a rubber backing to it like you find for bathrooms.
Don't worry about the bass being "absorbed" or the like. The wavelengths just don't support this fallacy.
Ron

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Something I just did yesterday involved this problem. I went to Home Depot and bought $5 worth of patio stones. I put an 18"x18"x2" piece under my sub and a 12"x12"x2" on top of my sub to weigh it down. It really tightened up bass response, and on stuff that normally makes my sub sound muddy, it was really smooth. You might try something like that...

Charbel

Agent
Thank you for the responses. While we`re on the subject can i ask about my mains? they are Studio 40`s on stands with spikes, should I remove THOSE spikes? or was that info just for the sub and not the stands/mains? sorry for the confusion thanks.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Charbel, I had the exact same problem. I went to the local Lowes store and bought a square of black astroturf. It is what you find covering steps outdoors or in a boat perhaps. It is black cloth on the top and has a rubberized bottom. It took care of the noise on my hardwood floors for me. Here is a pic of my sub sitting on this mat to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
It's my understanding that spikes are only for carpeted floors with wood underneath, to help couple to the floor. On hardwood, I wouldn't think you'd have any need for them (plus don't they scratch your floor?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks