What's new

My sub is making a noise (1 Viewer)

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Im not sure what it is but im wondering if someone could help me identify it.
It resembles the sound of air rushing out through a crack, but i cant seem to localize it, it sounds almost as if it is coming from the dust cap, but also like it could be air squeezing its way out from where the speaker is mounted to the box. Also it isnt doing it all the time, only when the speaker really gets moving. Like during "In Da Club" by 50 cent it makes this noise when the lowest bass in the song hits, but not any other time. and only when it is turned up past a certain level.

Is there anyway i can determine weather or not it is actually an air leak, or something wrong with my driver?
if i push the cone in, it doesnt make any scratching noises or anything, so im sort of lost.
The speaker is a Phoenix Gold Octane R12d.

any help is appreciated.

----EDIT----

Ive been doing some listening, and im 90% sure that it is not my driver, the sound seems to be coming from slightly below where it is mounted, and from the box itself. I also removed my amp, and to the best of my knowledge it isnt making that noise when the amp is out of it (IE with a big open hole in the back, and no real strain on the box. basically free air)

Still i need some way to figure out exactly what this noise is so i can correct it. Its so hard to figure out cause i cant seem to get an EXACT fix on where it is coming from.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Its a sealed box, but for the time being there is a 1" hole in the back to allow wires to come through for the amp.
I'm waiting on a metal plate to mount the switches in and seal the hole. Not to mention that the screws holding my speaker in have gotten slightly stripped and i cant screw them TIGHT, I'm thinking of just bolting the speaker in, since once it is totally finished i will have no need to remove the speaker.

But it is metal against the wood and im not sure if i can find something like a gasket to put between the metal and wood to seal it up better. it is a front mounted speaker.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
That hole isn't helping things any. You probably are having air leaks around the driver if you can't tighten it down. Use some 1/2" wide closed cell foam weather stripping. You should be able to find it at Home Depot or somewhere similar.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
not with subs, but i've had some luck with breaking off a few toothpicks into hole then rescrewing.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, yes, and while the hole is open, i have not been playing it loud, but since the hole is small, there is still some back pressure isnt there?

Weather stripping.....Duh, So simple. why didn't i think of that?

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Got bigger screws in there and got them held so tight that my hands now have blisters(I dont have a drill ATM)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks