What's new

My sub hums when my satellite is plugged in... (1 Viewer)

Ettore

Auditioning
Hi all!
I had my subwoofer for quite a while before I moved and it never hummed. Now, with my same setup including my mini-dish, my sub constantly hums. It is not enough to be disturbing but it's time I get rid of the humming. My friend also has the same problem but his hums very loud. He has to disconnect his satellite cable whenever he turns on his sub (he just got the sub). I remember reading a solution here but I can't find it. Someone mentioned a "cheater plug" but when I went to a local Radioshack no one knew what I was talking about. I also went to Futureshop and apparently I'm the first to ever have this problem...although I'm pretty sure it's because the person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. Anyway, I would really appreciate it if someone can tell me what I need to fix this problem using the real names of the parts =). Thanks in advance!
Ettore http://pages.infinit.net/cybergem/corvette.html

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I have the same problem. You have a ground loop hum, and its easy enough to get rid of with a cheater plug. A cheater plug is a three prong to two prong adapter. Go to your local hardware store and they should have it.

Ron Hanson

Agent
you have a ground loop problem.
Just search for 'ground loop' and you'll get tons of answers. Best to fix the problem and not to cheat it.

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same problem, When I connect my sat to the Denon 3802 receiver the hum starts and get real trible when I turn on the sat. The above solution works for my case?
Thanks

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Search for "ground loop" and you too shall find salvation...
Buy a power strip that has a cable filter, you will be impressed.
Sam

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Bad ground loop. Call a quality electrician.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif