What's new

my sub finaly did some damage to my house :) (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,

I've read about people doing damage to there homes with big DIY subwoofers before but never was able to get enough juice going to my tempest to do any myself. Well last week I was showing off my system to my dad and a freind and I'm pretty sure thats when the damage occured. It wasn't any serious damage at all just 5 nails that held my dry wall in place on the corner of my room poped out about 1/3 and inch. There still held in by the paint so i'll just knock them back in
and touch up the area with some paint. I was playing the monsters Inc. intro past refence level (which was probably not the brightest thing to do) and the first few mins on toy story 2. Everything in the whole room was rattleing like crazzy which should have been a good indicater to turn it down but I never heard anything sound like it poped or broke. The biggest factors In why I was able to actually do damage is the new enclosure and amp I got for my tempest. I went from a 230L sealed enclosure to a 240L ported (16 Hz tunning) enclosure. And from an old receiver (about 50 watts I imagine) to the PE plate amp with remote. So I got a gigantic boost in output mainly in the low frequicys. I'll get some didital pics out tonight. I just got the sub covered in a black sock and I recently covered my AV 1's in the PE vinyl stuff which worked out much much better than I thought it would. So no more cranking the moveis for me, At least untill our house sells :).

Ryan

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I'd just apply some drywall screws near the areas where the nails popped out. Then, remove the nails and spackle the holes. You can then enjoy your Tempest until you sell your house -- without any guilt. :)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
that was my dads biggest concern ("You'll crack the sheet rock and i spent to much time on it to wreck it") for moving my tempest into our living room, i never really hauled on it cause i am almost certain that i could do some damage.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I've had to run drywall screws into all the sheetrock in my fam rm. Better to do it right than have to do it over.

Pete

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
Mine don't do that.:thumbsdown:

My sub just pisses off the neighbor so he turns his sub on to max which forces me to turn my sub to max, lol.

Ain't life grand :)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
My house has a brick trim on the lower half of the front of it, that my sub has caused to break up some of the mortor on. I noticed it wile setting outside one day. If you are playing something you can put you hand across the gap between the brick & the house & see just why. It vibrates quite a bit, or at least alot more than I would have ever thought. This is also the wall the sub is setting right next too though so it is just a small area.

michael-e

Agent
:) ouch

homepages.paradise.net.nz/quadroph/woof.jpg

2labs can anyone say 140db?

108db/1watt+ 6db for against a wall,near corner,
two mouths=flat to 30hz approx.

111 114 117 120 123 126 129 132 135 138 141
2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2056watts

i think 1kw/individual sub is max rms 800wtt probably safer.
2x12 in each box.
yes,i need one/two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks