My Strangest Review Yet....Fireplace

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RicP, Dec 17, 2001.

1. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

[​IMG] Fireplace -- released by DVD International
    Ever since I saw this DVD advertised I knew I had to have it. I grew up in the NY area with WPIX Channel 11's Yule Log during the Holidays and I knew that this DVD would bring back some memories.
    Basically this DVD is a roaring fireplace with a variety of Backing audio tracks. The fireplace is shot on film not video, and there is a 16:9 anamorphic version and a 4:3 Pan&Scan version on the one dual-layered disc included. In fact the disc utilizes P&S on the fly. So it is really a 16:9 anamorphic transfer, but if you have your DVD player set to 4:3 Letterbox you'll see it in an approx 1.78:1 letterbox; if you have your DVD player set to 4:3 PanScan then you'll see the Pan&Scan on the fly version. If you have a 16:9 TV, then you don't have to worry about any of that nonsense. [​IMG] If you've seen Aquaria, then you pretty much understand what this disc is all about.
    The audio is provided in both Dolby Digital and DTS. There is a DD 5.1 and a DD 2.0 track as well as a DTS 5.1 track.
    There are 2 separate audio tracks that can be played solo or combined with the "natural crackling of the fireplace." You can also choose to just listen to the "natural crackling" [​IMG]
    The first audio track is a selection of Baroque Christmas music. These are Christmas standards like Silent Night, Jingle Bells, The First Noel etc played by a baroque orchestra. The sound in both DD and DTS is very good and very enveloping.
    The second audio track is Night Music and it is just a collection of various Classical selections from composers such as Mozart, Beethoven, Pachelbel, Debussy, etc. Again the sound is very good is both audio formats.
    The third track allows you to listen to the roaring fire in Dolby 2.0. Alas, no 5.1 fire. I guess it's better that way though, because it would seem less like a firelace that way, and more like a scene from Backdraft.
    The fireplace changes angles every so often as it plays, so there's really not the illusion of a real fireplace burning on the TV. Unless of course your fireplace changes angles occasionally -- in which case I'm inviting myself over to gawk at your cool fireplace [​IMG]
    When you choose either of the music soundtracks you are presented with a secondary menu in which you choose your mix. You have the following choices:
    • Fire Only
    • Music Only - Dolby Digital
    • Music Only - DTS
    • Music and Fire - Dolby Digital
    • Music and Fire - DTS
    Pretty cool actually.
    There are also 9 trailers on this disc for the other discs that DVD International have released. Titles like Aquaria and Earthlight among others.
    All in all I think this is a cool DVD and an interesting if not unique use of the technology. It has an auto-repeat mode as well so you can put it on if you have company over and just let it continue to play (and burn) while you entertain. It's certainly a conversation piece, and the music is great too.
    Hmm, is it getting warmer in here? [​IMG]

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Why isn't this a special edition?
    Fireplace commentary:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi! This is Bob Burns. I'm the director of Fireplace. With me is my cinematographer, Ronald Stokes.
    Stokes: Hello all. In case you're wondering, we used Easy-Start firelogs, available at your local grocery or hardware store. I highly recommend them!
    Burns: Nice pitch, Ron! My, we've really got some nice crackling going on here...
    Stokes: Yes we do. This is where our gaffer, Toby Lighter, nearly burst a lung trying to get a nice updraft of sparks. I think it came off quite nicely and applaud Toby for his efforts.
    Burns: Yes, Toby is a heck of a guy!
    Stokes: I wish we wouldn't have cut that scene where we roasted marshmallows.
    Burns: You know, I really wanted to leave that in, but it just didn't fit. Totally destroyed the ambiance. However, I believe it's going to be included on this dvd as a deleted scene.
    Stokes: That's good to hear. What about that other scene we took out?
    Burns: You mean the one where that drunken excuse for a writer threw a full shot glass of 151 vodka into the fire? I believe they're going to include that as well.
    Stokes: Great! Remember when I whacked that idiot over the head with the poker?
    Burns: Yeah, he's still in the hospital! Man, I really had a lot of fun making Fireplace.
    Stokes: So did I! Wanna make a sequel? Hey, maybe we can turn this into a franchise! How does Bonfire sound?
    Burns: Sounds great! You bring the franks, I'll bring the beer!
    Stokes: You're on!

3. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    people may laugh, but every Christmas Eve (until they stopped airing it), my family would put on Channel 11 (WPIX in metro New York) for their fireplace. they'd run Christmas music over video of a fireplace and we'd keep it on during our family get-together. this DVD sounds like it would bring back some nice memories.

DJ

4. SteveGon

Actually, this does sound like a cool dvd. However, I'm partial to rain. Do they have any of those?

5. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Wow, sound like a must-have [​IMG], even though I already have a R2 Fireplace/Aquarium DVD. It has fire sound in DD5.1, frighteningly real-sounding, but it is not anamorphic, just 4:3.
    Aquarium with sound of bubbles from all speakers is also a real hoot [​IMG].

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Steve:
    [​IMG]
    Priceless! I'm so waiting for the Fireplace:SE [​IMG]

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I want an Aquaria:SE with commentary from the fish.

8. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Actually, you may laugh, but we bought this DVD. And I like it quite a bit. The music is fantastic in DTS. The fire place is very relaxing to watch, it's wonderful to sit down after a rough day and put this on and have a conversation. Plus it looks fantastic on my 57" Widescreen TV! [​IMG]
    Chris.

9. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

Believe it or not, there is also another fireplace DVD, called New England Christmas. You get a choice of fireplace or snowfall, with 90 minutes of Christmas Carols. I just bought a copy from Amazon for a friend whose father plays a videotape of the WPIX Yule Log every year.
    I think we need a petition to get the original, WPIX Gracie Mansion Yule Log on DVD [​IMG]
    Tom Fynan

10. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Is the DTS noticeably better than DD track ?? Superbits version in the works??[​IMG]

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

What about deleted scenes, and is the trailer anamorphic?

12. SteveGon

The trailer will be anamorphic. The deleted scenes are as follows:
    Does anyone have any matches? (:52)
    Easy-Start, my ass! (9:22)
    Roasting marshmallows (5:38)
    A writer's toast (1:32)
    Open the flue! (:41)
    Who threw my copy of Playboy in the fire? (:25)
    The Fireplace SE will also have a two-hour documentary on fire entitled Plasma Dynamics Or: Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Fire
    [​IMG]

13. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Where can you get this DVD? And the fish one? My wife would love this. And so would I!

Bryan

14. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

How about a boxset of Fireplace, Aquaria, and a bonus disc "Cooking Fish"?

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Will playing this for extended periods cause burn-in on my projection TV?
    [​IMG]

17. BradyB

BradyB Stunt Coordinator

Well I think I may pick this up... I hope the Canadian version has French Language track... [​IMG]

18. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

19. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

[​IMG] @ this thread.

20. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG] I am anxious about the DVD but the thread alone just made me spit out some of my food. Darn you guys I was really looking forward to that chicken.[​IMG]