My stomach problems went bye bye forever!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, May 21, 2004.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Back in 1990 I had a bad case of Salmonella from eating a canned chicken dish my ex-wife made for dinner. We both had it but luckily the kids did not (they wanted PB sandwiches). While I was laying on the table getting my third IV I asked if they were going to give me antibiotics. They said no (Navy Hospital Longbeach) and that it just needed to run its course.

So fast forward through my life. I've had two more cases of Salmonella and one case of Montezuma's Revenge I picked up in Tuxtla Mexico. Each time I asked the various nurses and doctors if antibiotics were necessary and they said no.

For the last 14 years I've always thought I had I.B. Syndrome. My wife thought I just had a weak stomach. The symptoms were consistent and I just got used to it. One doctor had no clue as to what might be causing my stomach problems even after running extensive tests.

So about 2 months ago I had a bit of Cellulitis on my face from bumping a piece of equipment at work. This was not a fun thing. It hurt like hell, gave me blurred vision in one eye and a heck of a headache. Cellulitis is treated by very intensive antibiotics given via IV. I had two treatments of this and the cellulitis went away.

You can see where I'm going with this. It seems that all of my stomach problems have completely disappeared. I can now drink milk, eat cereal, eat hot foods and greasy yummy steak and don't have any problems what-so-ever. Before the antibiotics I couldn't eat any of that without fear of needing a bathroom close by. I was always worried when going to a restaraunt.

The best I can figure is that I must have retained some bug in my intestines that caused all these problems since 1990 and the drugs got rid of them. And boy do I like eating normal again.

Better living thru drugs I guess. [​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You see, this makes me worried if the doc I'm visiting actually knows his/her stuff. One time I wasted half a day seeing a young doc who couldn't clean out my stuffed up ear with several earwashings. I saw another doctor (an older fella at Quantico marine base) and he simply took a plastic scooper to my ear. It wasn't comfortable but it was finally clean!

Glad you're eating unhealthily again. j/k [​IMG]

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I was talking to my doctor the other day, and I was venting about not getting into grad school... I had a 3.39 in college. And the doctor said it was better than his GPA in college... now I'll grant you he's got specialized training, but do you want the doctor who just barely passed med school?

4. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Your evidence isn't compelling enough. You should eat foods that used to cause you problems, fly in a small plane in turbulent weather, then report back to this thread and the one on turbulence experience. We'll see if you're cured. [​IMG]

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Antibiotics rule! [​IMG]

And remember, fears over creating superbugs because of using antibiotics is only justified when the patient does NOT use up all the antibiotics properly prescribed to them by the doctor. If you don't use all your antibiotic meds, you won't kill off all the bugs...it will kill off the weaker ones quickly, leaving behind the stronger mutated ones that die more slowly. Not finishing the meds allows these strong ones to thrive when you stop taking them!

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I had pre-ulcer symptoms most of my life. When I was 38 I got severe pneumonia in both lungs. They gave me 1,000 mg. tablets of Erythromycin twice daily. This not only cured my pneumonia but all my digestive problems went away forever.

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

As I am not an MD, consider this with caution: your symptoms may have been caused by bacteria other than Salmonella, such as Helicobacter pylori. Common in humans, suspected in dogs.

"Although a number of antimicrobial compounds will bring about a short term elimination of the organism, no single antimicrobial or combination of antimicrobials will bring about long term elimination of the organism. Current recommendations which allow for healing of gastric ulcers include initial treatment with bismuth salts followed by continued treatment with bismuth salts in combination with one or two antimicrobial agents (amoxicillin, tetracyclines and/or metronidazole) for periods up to four weeks. Prevention/Control:

No current recommendations for prevention or control."

8. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I was doing some reading last night and it seems that those who believe they have IBS may actually have "Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth". It seems to mimic the symptoms of IBS or vice versa. The symptoms I had were exactly like those who had I.B.O.. You need bacteria in your intestines but to much of it is a bad thing. With IBO they give you strong antibiotics to kill it all off. Unfortunately it kills off the good bacteria as well. It is then up to you to replace the good bacteria by eating good raw foods with a lot of roughage. I'm not sure how that works but I'm all for it! [​IMG] Bring on the salads (with no dressing).