My stolen photo on ebay!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter-PP, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

A seller on Ebay has stolen one of my orchid photos and is using it on ebay to sell his own plants. If he had asked for my permission, I would have probably said yes but I just don't like it when people steal. I have already emailed him to remove my photo from ebay. Did I do the right thing?

Thanks!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Is he linking to your site or did he upload it to his own server? If its still pointing to your site simply upload another photo in its place that he might not want people to see on his auction[​IMG]

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Good thought Andrew[​IMG]

Tell him to use his own photo, if he doesn't, or gives you grief go to Ebay and tell them.

B

4. Peter-PP

No, it is not a link. He actually stole it and used it without my permission to sell his plants.

I have already notified ebay as well.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Mike Young, a member at AVS, did just that: Some guy auctioning a CRT projector, used some of Mike's screenshots and claimed they were actually from his projector. Mike replaced the pics on his site with pics of guys throwing up/using the can. Auction was cancelled faster than you can say "projectile vomiting" [​IMG]

6. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I remember reading in some car forum, where one guy's car, not just similar pictures, were being sold by some other person on ebay. Being a forum that was open to sharing pics of their cars and specs much like we'd share pics of DVD collections and HT setup, I'm guessing that's how the guy managed to link to the victim's pictures and post as if he was able to sell the car. When the victim found out about this, he retaliated and changed all the pics to those of a totalled car. I'm pretty sure a ton of people retracted bids, although not quite sure what happened to the perp.

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

ummmm. There seems to be a lot of "stolen" photos on sigs at HTF! Thought I'd mention it. [​IMG]

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

A couple years ago, a fellow not only stole my photos but my auction description as well, changed a bit to suit his specs. I was pretty amused. I chided him a bit in an email and, to my amazement, he apologized all over the place and yanked his auction. I think he believed I was going after him for a copyright violation, which, even if I had a copyright on my auction, would have much more bother than it was worth.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If you took the pictures, it is a copyright violation, and you have every right to demand that he/she remove the photos.

10. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

Just report it to Ebay, they are not the best at everything but when it comes to stolen photos, they are surprisingly on the ball.

I have had quite a few photos stolen, and reported to ebay. Their auctions are zapped usually within a day. Of course I have watermarks on all of my auction photos which the offenders boldly don't bother to remove [​IMG]

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Stink their auction up. Lots of false bids and then tell him to bugger off when he asks for the money!

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

No there isn't.

on a side note, check out my new signature...
    __________________________________________________ _____
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Sorry Peter, I just HAD to.

13. Peter Kline

Good grief, separated at birth? [​IMG]

14. Peter-PP

The guy finally emailed me and said that he was sorry but there is nothing he can do. Supposedly, he had "chatted" online with an ebay employee and had asked him to remove my photo and the ebay guy said that since there were bids, they are not allowed to do so. Is that true? I have a feeling he is just lying. I have never bought anything from ebay and have no plans to do so in the future.

15. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Peter, You may have no recourse other than complaining to Ebay. Even if this bozo is doing something illegal, it would never be worth the time and money to pursue it (unless you are independently wealthy with time on your hands). You can, however, take pride in the fact that your photos were the best he could find[​IMG] Dave

16. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Sounds like a lie. They could simply cancel the auction.

The guy will probably continue to use your photos for future auctions, so you should really get on ebay's case about this.

17. Peter Kline

Did you have a copyright line attached to the photo when you published it? Even if you didn't file officially, the line would protect your rights until you did.

18. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

False. Forget contacting the guy, just go to ebay directly. I've cancelled many an auction (with bids) using my photos. Feels good, especially since the offender was probably already smelling the money in their mind.

19. Peter-PP

Update:

I was going to let it go, have better and more important things to worry about but the seller has offered to send me a "mature division" of a Paph St Swithin (ladyslipper orchid) in exchange for the photo and I accepted it even though I already have one. He didn't sound very happy about it but hey he should have thought about not stealing other people's property in the first place.

Thanks for the support!