My stolen Marantz SR-7000, dealing with the insurance company, and replacements

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JustinS, Aug 12, 2002.

1. JustinS

JustinS Agent

OK, I admit it. I am painfully out of touch with the ins and outs of the home theater hardware market. I really have been since I put together a reasonably respectable system over a year ago.

Recently, our home was broken into and the punk made off with both of my DVD players, 60 or so of my DVDs, and my Marantz SR-7000. My insurance carrier, is trying to determine what it is worth and what a suitable replacement is, etc., and generally irritating me to no end.

Can anyone offer any guidance on what is a suitable replacement for this model? I would rather stick with Marantz as I had been a very happy SR-7000 customer. The insurance company mentioned the SR-6200 in their recent letter to me but indicated that they did not feel like it was a suitable replacement. They naturally failed to explain why. How about the 7200?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

The MSRP of the 7000 when new should translate well to receivers of the same MSRP today. The Insurance company should also agree that this is a fair compensation and I'm a little surprised they didn't suggest this themselves.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Okay, I used to work with the insuarance industry (worker's compensation), and I can't remember when they didn't try to lowball a claimant. If they offered the 6200, I think you can get them to go up to the 7200 and that's what I feel you deserve to get. I'd contact Marantz, and some dealers, and ask them what the equivalent model would be and I'd get them to state it in writing. You can use that with the insurance carrier as a bargaining chip. Although I'm sorry this happened, I think it would be pretty cool for you to get a new 7200 too. By the way, I hate insurance companies. You pay them for a service and they sometimes fight their own customers tooth and nail not to provide the service you paid them for.

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Man, that has to suck!!! 2 dvd players, 60 dvds, and a receiver? Geez, was this guy apart of the Criminal HomeTheater Group or somethin?

Is the insurance company going to replace the dvds too? That would hurt my feelings more, because you put forth so much effort into collecting dvds, for some one to come and just take them, I can't even imagine. That would be my whole collection!! Good luck to ya man...

5. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear you were a victim... people who break into homes don't comprehend the invasion of privacy principle.
    Very Simple...
    Have a dealer provide the name of the model that replaces the 7000 (assuming it is the 6200 or 7200) with a quote for replacement.
    BTW, you should NOT have to replace with this. The allowance for the new AV unit can be applied to something better, even another brand. It will have to be another receiver tho.
    You simply need make up the difference in pricing, so this would be kinda a good time to upgrade...[​IMG]
    BTW, if you come across as anything other than greedy, unreasonable, or narrow minded, you'll go a lot further with this. Most property insurers are looking for excuses to pay, they just need a paper trail to support it.
    So... give them the ammunition to justify payment.
    Or... whine and bitch and see how far you get[​IMG]

6. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

About 10 years ago my house got hit. Took ALL of the audio equipment and over 200 CD's. The insurance paid off on the equipment but since I couldn't provide receipts for the CD's (proving the loss) I was basically out of luck. Funny part was that I had very clear pictures of the CD rack showing all of the CD's (edge on). Clear enough that you could easily count them. No go. All in all it worked out OK... I took a BIG hit on the CD's but I ended up with a MUCH nicer system than what was taken.

Of course... about 2 days before I received the settlement check I received the letter cancelling my home owners & auto policies (both with the same company).

The rather expensive lesson I learned... Document EVERYTHING, keep EVERY receipt, keep EVERY piece of paper associated with your system, Oh Yea... did I mention DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!

Let's just say that I have no great love insurance companies.

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I was where you are about 4 years ago. The police did catch my thieves, which made me feel a teeny bit better. Still, it took quite a while to feel safe again. You have my sympathies...

As for the gear, my insurance company, State Farm, was great. They replaced part of it themselves, with either exact replacements or 1 notch better. The rest I bought and they reimbursed me for it. They gave me a check for the rest of the CDs and cables that were damaged or stolen. I was able to speak to claims people on the phone on a semi-regular basis and they were always helpful. The only financial thing I had in all of this was my deductible (which I could have pursued the thieves in court for. I chose not to.)

My best advice is that if the claims people aren't being very helpful, try talking to your local agent. He should be motivated to want to keep your business.

As for your gear, the Marantz 7200 is the evolutionary brother of your 7000, not the 6200. This is what they should be working against. And for your DVD players and discs, they should be doing a similar thing they did for me. Give you the $$$ equivalent and let you replace them as you see fit. (DVD players have dropped in price over the last couple of years and yet give even better performance.)

I hope this all works out ok for you. Hang in there!

8. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Jeff - That is total BS about not getting compensation for the CDs. Especially since you had proof (pics) that you owned them. They expect you to keep every receipt for every CD collected in the past 15 years? That is rediculous. And then they cancel you... who were they?

When we purchased our home, I told our local rep about my system. I asked if I needed to provide him with proof up front just in case something happened to it. He said no and that if anything ever happens he will take care of it. I hope I don't ever have to take him up on his word.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Talk to a local dealer who carries/carried your gear. They will often help you by giving you an estimate of the cost then and today. Your insurance company will go by the CURRENT cost, not the cost when NEW.

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Of course... about 2 days before I received the settlement check I received the letter cancelling my home owners & auto policies (both with the same company).

11. JustinS

JustinS Agent

Thanks for the advice and sympathy everyone. It is most certainly appreciated.

Fortunately, the 60 DVDs only represented a small portion of my collection. The guy basically swiped off portions of some of the shelves in my DVD cabinet (which was unlocked, alas), so I have gaps in my collection (Big Night - Chicken Run, Dangerous Liaissons - Gladiator, etc.).

Chuck, point well taken on the dropping costs of players. The main player was a Toshiba SD-6200, purchased right when they first came out and when progressive players were still quite expensive. No doubt a comparable player would be much cheaper now. Alas, the other player was one of the original region-free, Macrovision-disabling Apex AD-600As, which is pretty much irreplaceable. On the other hand, it was a rare day that I ever used it so I don't think that I will miss it much in reality.

12. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

13. Steve K.H.

It's all pretty straight forward stuff actually...

If you spent $2K on a 286 computer 10 years ago, and it was the best of the best then, that doesn't mean the current replacement is a P4...

A tip for the DVD's. Get a quote from your retailer... ask if it is possible to get a check for the full replacement cost of all the DVD's, payable to you and the retailer. That way you don't have to worry about backorders and so on, just pick up the flicks that are available and others you don't have.

14. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Have you thought about getting a security system now?

I hope this gets resolved quickly for you and not drawn out.

15. Steve K.H.

Greg raises a good point... if you get a security system there are numerous benefits...
    -You'll sleep better!
    -You might not see a your policy get cancelled, increased in rates as high, etc.
    -The deterrent factor.
    ALWAYS get a guaranteed response time from the security co. Most B/E's are in and out very quickly. It's no damn good if the security company drags their ass over there in half an hour, to simply confirm that you were hit.
    Better yet... get a dog! [​IMG]

16. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>For homeowners insurance if you make too many claims (even if you don't get payment for the claims), I believe more than 2 in 3 years, you get blacklisted. If you drop your coverage you will have a hard time getting a new policy that will take you (too many claims means trouble to an insurer). I know because that happened with my in-laws, they made 3 claims in 3 years and tried to switch policies, no go. Had get a policy from Fireman's fund until the claims went past the 3 year mark. So, keep that in mind with homeowner's insurance -- don't make too many claims, especially for the little stuff.