What's new

My Star Wars laser disc definitive trilogy arrived today!!! (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have about 350+ and still haven't watched all of them or opened many of them.
I did just get done watching the first disc of Vol. 1 of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."
Picture quality was almost as good as a DVD and this was on a Mit. 65711 16x9 playing thru a DVL-700. :D

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
how are you guys hooking these laser disc players up to your displays? composite? s-video?

i have a projector with an svideo input i'm not using....wonder if i should try and get a LD player?

would laserdisc look acceptable on a 106" screen?

DannyS

Second Unit
I have Se7en Criterion and nothing to play it on......:frowning: :frowning:
about those star wars DVD R's?
I have to agree....
(They are amazing...)
:)
It's just a shame George has made fans do this.....

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I'd say that's pretty player- and media-dependent. Some discs look notably better than others, mostly depending on when the transfers were done. And LD is a medium with lots of colour noise, though a good player will eliminate most to all of it.

I have a modified Pioneer CLD-D504 as my primary player, and I watch on a 52" standard definition set. Discs run from looking lousy to just fine. I watched the Kenneth Branagh Hamlet last week, and that transfer is a bit of a train wreck. Too bad, really. But anyways, it's significantly better than VHS, and the PCM audio is glorious.

The THX Star Wars discs look great, though.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Yes, if the transfer is good and the player is good, you will get great picture. It's NOT like newer movies on DVD or HDTV, but good.

But bad transfer and/or a not so good player, it will not look that hot.

How much are you willing to spend and is it only for the Star Wars movies?

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Can anyone point us in the right direction for the best Star Wars dvd-r sets from laser disc? Where should we look?

CraigL

Screenwriter
Perhaps you should read my email above for a REALLY EASY and DIRECT way of getting your answer. ;)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
kyle, its frowned upon here on HTF to discuss the sale of DVD-R media... but if you contact me directly, I can help you out.

I have a Pioneer DVL-909 running composite into a DVDO iscan v2, which puts out a 480p signal to my 46" CRT HDTV. It looks great, but you would never confuse it with a good DVD.

jacob_A

Auditioning
bought my first player back in 90 just to watch a MAdonna Concert that was only issued on laserdisc. Since then I've gone through a few players & tons of discs. I had been without a player for awhile & never decided to replace it because i figured eventually all of what I had would make it to DVD. But the bug kept bitting me & had to get another player. I found a philips model for $40 at a pawn shop & since then have modded it for dolby digital. I've gotten rid of the mediocre titles that have since been issued on DVD,

but have held on to a few gems: mainly lots of different star wars incarnations (definitive set which I did not get when it was new, but found many years later used at a bookstore for $70, Japanese Empire Strikes Back, Japanese Phantom Menace - which blows the DVD outta the water by the way! Indy trilogy, a few other Japanese Madonna Concerts

I especially love those old MCA discovision titles!!!

I have found a few gems for pretty cheap like the Olivia Newton-John TV special with ABBA & Andy Gibb as musical Guests!!!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Since Lucas wants us all to think the OT 'no longer exists' I don't see what the problem would be in distributing DVD-R copies of the films.
That's my excuse anyway :)

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm quite surprized that so much interest remains concerning Laserdiscs.

I had been selling/trading my remaining laserdiscs at a local store (Laser Blazer in Los Angeles) since I started collecting DVDs, although I haven't sold or traded any lately. They pay very little for them but I didn't want to get involved with trying to sell stuff on E-Bay.

I also retired my laser disc player (a Pioneer Elite DVL-91 combi DVD/LD player) to a spare room a couple of years ago because of a space constraint in my home theater setup.

Now I'm considering if I should advertise locally to sell my laserdisc player and some or all of the discs I still have including the Star Wars trilogy (original versions) and Indiana Jones trilogy (which I've replaced with the DVD versions).

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I have a Pioneer DVL-909 running composite into a DVDO iscan v2, which puts out a 480p signal to my 46" CRT HDTV. It looks great, but you would never confuse it with a good DVD.
Yes, I know. The DVL-909 is not really a good player at all. I will only give a average picture from LD. Not close to DVD with that one, like all other DVD/LD combi players.

/Mattias

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I'm quite surprised that so much interest remains concerning Laserdiscs.
As this thread indicates, it's mostly about two words: Star Wars ;)
I was even contemplating getting an LD player just for those a couple months ago, so annoyed was I when I heard about the various tech issues with the new DVDs. It wasn't so much the faults in those discs as Lucasfilm's response to concerns..."Now now, dear foolish consumer, nothing is wrong. Just buy our expensive product and be happy." Sorry, but no way. Ebay would've easily netted me a mid-model player and a set of the "faces" LDs for about a hundred bucks total, but I shortly cooled down and returned my lust for Star Wars to its prior state of hibernation.
Besides, buying another semi-obsolete piece of equipment just to watch Star Wars would break my VCR's heart.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Okay, since I'm using a DVL-700 and I know it's not the best and it was the first generation combi (DVD/LD) player...
"WHAT WAS THE LAST AND THE "BEST" LD PLAYER MADE AND THE RUNNER UPS???" :D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Final production on the HLD-X9 High Definition-capable player has ended. Information recieved is contradictory as to whether Elite DVL models or professional players are still in production, but in any case they will not be the highest possible grade of player. There are various threads here which are to the point, but we can generally say: the analog signal processing section of the HLD-X0 is best; the digital signal processing section of the HLD-X9 is best; and the control section of the LD-V8000 is best. That latter is an industrial model which can seek to individual fields and store a complete NTSC frame in memory. As for mechanism, perhaps the most impressive would be the industrial 72-disc changers. Talk about megachangers! it would be hard even to find a place for one.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Pioneer HLD and Elite models made after 1995 (and their clones) and Runco LJRs seem to get the vote for best LD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks