What's new

My Star Wars laser disc definitive trilogy arrived today!!! (1 Viewer)

GaryEA

Second Unit
Fantasia CAV Box
(smacks forehead)

I'm still kicking myself for not picking the Fantasia set when I saw it on clearance. I was stupid enough to say "Oh, I'll pick it up next week. It'll still be here when I stop by next week."

When I went back the following week, both the set and the store were gone. Bye, bye Digitainment!

EDIT: Just remembered that the store also took that Thin Man box I kept putting off. Damn!

-g

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
:) Reading all the posts lately and the resurgence of LD here at the HTF has inspired me to pull out my Definitive Collection and watch all the extras the last few days. IMO it's a pretty good box set. I'm through the first two movies and extras. Hint: Use the LD player multi-speed 1/32 or slower mode to watch the still frame galleries as a neato slideshow.
That Definitive Collection is a pretty impressive box I have to say. There are too many layers of packaging to get to the discs though!
Glad I have the Fantasia CAV box set and the CLV movie only versions. The picture is not very good compared to the DVD, but the original audio non-road show intros are better than the road show re-voice overs on the DVD version.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Glad I have the Fantasia CAV box set and the CLV movie only versions. The picture is not very good compared to the DVD, but the original audio non-road show intros are better than the road show re-voice overs on the DVD version.
Philip, you're killing me here! :)
Back on topic - Todd, best of luck with your new discs. Crank 'em up and enjoy! :D
-g

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Todd, best of luck with your new discs.
I think I must have a disease. I loved the Star Wars set, just got E.T. today, have bought Raider's of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Clash of the Titans, and Dragonslayer, I'm also looking at about 12 other laser discs. I love them :) ! To make matters worse for my wallet, I just picked up 4 DVD's today also.
Todd

Ed Francisco

Stunt Coordinator
I bought an old second-hand Pioneer LD player a few months ago, and the Definitive Set and the Indy Trilogy were definitely the must-buys for me. I've bought several LDs since then, but those initial purchases still get the most replay value for me.

GaryCo

Agent
I also have been " bitten again " by the LD bug. I use to have about 100 LD's in the late 80's to early 90's. I then get out of HT and sold all my movies.

Recently, I picked up up among others the Star Wars, Indy trilogy, Schindler's List, Lion King and received BTTF today. Looking forward to watching it tonite.

I really miss the LD's, some covers are very attractive , and i need to find some way to display some of the covers.

Well off to find some more ...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I had stopped buying LD's. But, I did pick up the Extended SE of Wyatt Earp with the book. And the SE CAV version of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. I was able to get each for $20.00. A bargain for both. And the Hunchback LD has things the dvd does not. I might have to use my Panasonic dvd burner to make a dvd copy.

Oscar

Second Unit
Yeah guys, its nice to buy an old, high quality format that is way better than VHS while we wait for a taste of any of the DVD editions of those movies.

I will buy:

The whole Star Wars triology

The Back to the Future triology

The Indiana Jones triology

The Wings of Honneamise (since the picture in the DVD sucks).

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Here i was thinking that LD was completely dead and then all of the sudden all of these posts start popping up about how people are buying LD players off ebay just for Star Wars and i start to get a little sentimental. The first time i cranked up the orignal trilogy through the LD player with the then brand new Dolby Pro Logic reviever i thought i was in heaven. Been quite a few years since i broke out the original versions since they were replaced with the SE versions but i just might do that tonight. Someone should start a poll of how many people have bought LD players since the format's demise just to watch the Lucasfilm movies not currently on DVD.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Been watching laserdiscs for a week now.. :)
Overall I'm pleased. I thought the Def. Collection was superb, the Jaws boxset's documentary was a knockout (as was all the CAV supplements).
Watched Raiders last night, and I'm completely blown away with the sound.. just how can matrixed stereo sound so good? But there is a problem, on Temple of Doom, the phenomenal amount of red on the image bleeds everywhere.
This hobby is getting expensive, but it's an interesting sideline. :) (also, Raging Bull Criterion CAV is rarer than hen's teeth.. :frowning: )

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I've been a LD collector since 1991 and now own 2 players: A Pioneer CLD-980 (my original!) and a slightly newer CLD-501 (plays both sides automatically). Neither has AC-3 outs, but I'll tell you, since I got DPL II in my Onkyo 595, the already great PCM sound of LD now does a very good job of impersonating DD 5.1! It's revatilized my collection tremendously!

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
/me firmly believes that prices on eBay for LD players are going to skyrocket temporarily thanks to this thread.
John, you can't buy laserdisc players easily anymore. Your best bet would be to go on eBay and have a hunt for them there.
Sought after titles on LD can range from $50 to $400, depending on the sanity/insistance of the bidder. So, be careful.. :)
Of course, you could head off to the Hardware or Software For Sale forums on this site, and ask people.
Best of luck!
Scott.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Thanks! I was also wondering, how's the picture quality of laserdiscs?
Much better than VHS, but not as crisp as DVD. I've really been bitten hard by the laser disc bug. I love their look (maybe its cause I grew up in the era of record albums), and it really adds a nice dimension to my video library (I can't afford too many more dimensions are needed :D ).
Todd

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Thanks! I was also wondering, how's the picture quality of laserdiscs?
Well John Torrez,
The picture quality on LD is MUCH, MUCH more dependent
on the player than DVD for example.
You can get good quality for 100-300Us$ (pioneer 504/505/etc). But you CAN get DVD quality (if the transfer is done right) with high-end players.
So for a couple of movies a lower end player is the way to go. And IF you get the LD bug and get many more LD's there are better players on the market.
-Mattias-
Proud owner of Pioneer HLD-X9 and LD-S9 laserdisc players.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mattias,
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
did you get another S9??? Just wondering....? Best wishes!

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
How does the video quality compare to the 1995 THX Laserdisc versions (the ones with the faces on the jackets)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks