What's new

My spouse IS NOT a wife of the year nominee (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I love my wife and family dearly, but below are the reasons my wife is not nominatd as HT wife of the year:
1. Because we have a small child, who likes to play w/speaker wife, we must move one of my front mains and angle it against a wall when not in use to prevent my daughter from yanking the wires. My wife cannot understand why I insist on moving it back for better placement for movies and music, "when you'll only have to move it again after."
2. She would preferr that I lug my CD rack up and down stairs when I feel like playing material, as a tall stack of CD's constantly available to a 14 month old is indeed heaven. My insistance on keeping my rack there means alot of consistent re-directing of my daughter.
3. She does not see the value in HDTV.
4. She does see the value in an armoir (I never even knew what one was before I got married. Now I have a 600lb one in my living room). What's worse, it will only accomodate a 27"tv. My setup is mostly for music, thank goodnes.
5. She thinks Dolby Digital is the name of one of the bands I listen to. She thinks DTS is a rapper.
6. She can't tell the difference between 2ch and 5ch DSP modes and assumes because 5ch seems louder, it must be better.
7. She thinks the yellow, Kevlar drivers on my B&Ws "don't fit the room" so I must keep the grills on. Although I think they look awsome, the fact is I have a couple of cats and between them and the baby, that's probaby a good idea anyway.
8. Oh Yeah....She has two cats. I hate cats! Show me one that can take down a good size dog and that's the cat for me.
Anyway, despite all this, I do have a decent Marantz/B&W setup, and a good deal of software that I listen to on a regular basis. Besides the fact that I love her dearly, she also makes an effort to appreciate quality recordings, so there is something there to work with.
--Steve

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Steve, our hearts and sympathies go out to you, man. I am at a loss to explain why many females can't tell the difference between low-end jsp equipment and the good stuff, or why they don't appreciate larger, better displays or better speakers, etc, etc, etc. My theory is that they have an immediate bias against it all, because they have an initial perception that it's a "guy" hobby and therefore obviously a selfish hobby like cars that will be a constant black hole for money and an outlet for male immature testosterone release. In other words, they're not objective. Any other theories out there? We could do a psychology thesis on this. :)
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
[Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on August 17, 2001 at 06:48 AM]

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Thanks Hank,
Also, I hope nobody took my post here too seriously. I am very aware of the fact that my wife could easilly compile a list of annoyances about my hobbies that could be the foundations of a whole different forum. As I write this, I'm thinking about the 3k worth of bikes and the golf clubs sitting in my dining room for quick access. LOL. Maybe we should have a seperate forum for spouses of audio geeks and immature husbands. Sort of a support network.
--Steve

Jeff_N

Agent
Believe me, there's a support forum for all women! Any time they are talking or communicating with another woman, they are surely talking about their husbands in some way. I just ask that it not occur when I am sitting right there.

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
Allow me to throw a twist into the discussion.
Perhaps the wife sees the stereo/large screen tv as the mistress, i.e. the competition.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
$3K for the bike and golf clubs! Come on man... You're not trying hard enough! My bike itself is $3K and sits just inside the front door for daily access. I don't golf though, that's money better spent on HT equipment and DVDs. :)
------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
HEHE. 3k (or so) for the mtn and road bikes. Golf Clubs were free. I stink out loud on the golf course and refuse to buy them until I can consistently break 100.
--S

Will Ernst

Agent
Wow, now I appreciate mine even more! Not only did she buy me a Pronto TSU2000 for my birthday, she also went with me when I was test riding new moutain bikes for three weekends WHILE she was 6 months pregnant!
-will

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Man, I feel for ya. My wife is/was exactly the same way... the good (bad) news is my divorce should be final in another month or so. She cited one of the reasons she wanted a divorce is my compulsion for buying new HT gear and DVDs. Of course, the fact that she had a new boyfriend didn't help matters much. Oh well, at least now I can take the grill covers off and crank up my system to reference levels.
The real downside is that she took my cat... He's a very HT friendly cat, never bothered or touched any of my gear. Damn, I'm gonna miss that cat.
frown.gif

------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
who likes to play w/speaker wife
What kind of wife is this? A freudian slip, I guess.
wink.gif

My wife will tolerate so much, but she has put the brakes on some upgrading I have been interested in. She makes some lame excuses, like we need groceries or our son needs new shoes. My wife helps keep me grounded and realize that we have other priorities than the best home theater.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
...Show me one that can take down a good size dog and that's the cat for me.
biggrin.gif
A number of years back, we had an orange tabby named Obo who had every dog in the neighborhood living in fear. In particular there was the black lab across the street who would cower against the front door whenever Obo approached. He would sit on the curb in front of their house and just stare at the poor dog who would be shivering on the front porch. Pretty funny stuff, though I did feel sorry for the dog. Obo was the dumbest, neediest, longest lived cat we ever had. I sure do miss him sometimes.

Andre F

Screenwriter
JerryW,
She is taking the cat. I don't think I could live with that.
angry.gif

-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

LouiseB

Auditioning
Huge HT fan here, plus own 2 cats, 4 potbellied pigs, and a dog. My family thinks I'm nuts, my BF thinks I'm fascinating. :)

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Is'nt it funny how we(men)try hard to show off our gear in sleek audio racks while the wifes try as hard as they can to hide everything(ala armoir). I have about $20k in audio/video gear and am proud to show it off. It is very hard to find a woman that appreciates the beauty/elegance of hi-end gear. They think it's just another metal object in need of a closet so its out of their way.
I dust everything off frequently(I actually dust girls)including all my other furniture so I can enjoy the luster of all that metal and wood. Am I nuts? It also sounds better(placebo works great after dusting)LOL! :)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Patrick, actually what she did was come by and steal the cat. Considering the fact that pets are community property I don't really have much of a case against her regarding it. I could fight for custody, but this whole thing is going to be expensive enough. And, yes, you're right, it is petty.
I guess I could go to her apartment and steal him back... but she'd just come back by when I'm at work and take him again. No reason to put the critter through hell over this.
Oh well, that's life.
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks