my speakers blew out. can anybody help???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KyleCT, Sep 19, 2003.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

My roomate had a pair of Sony ss-u701av speakers (they are like 20 years old so you may not have heard of them). Both of the woofers blew out and need to be replaced. Can you guys point me to a place where i can just buy the speaker cones?

If i buy any sony cones can i assume that they will sound OK with the tweeter and the midrange driver?

The tweeter and midgrange are set at the top of the box, and there are 2 spots for 2 big woofers at the bottom right on top of eachother. However, the woofer at the very bottom isn't a woofer. It is just the cone without the magnet. These blew out as well. Can you buy these anywhere?

I sent an email to sony to see if they could provide some documentation for the speakers.

Any suggestions on how i could fix this?? Thank you

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What do you mean blew out? Just the surround (flexible outside edge) or the cone itself? It sounds like they simply fell apart from age. You cannot replace just the cone. You can get repair kits for the surround from www.partsexpress.com. I am not sure about Sony drivers, but a generic kit may work. The lower is not a driver, it is a passive radiator, and should be able to be repaired the same way.

I would not spend the money to replace the drivers, new speakers would be a better use of that same money.

3. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

the outer edge all the way around is ripped apart and gone. He tried to fix them with duck tape. The whole polyurathane (or whatever it is, the thing that actually pushes the air) is completey busted. The actual magnet and everything else are fine. Can you just buy that thing and glue it in yourself?

I figured just buying the drivers would be a lot cheaper than buying brand new speakers because i dont need the tweeter, midrange or case, just the woofers.

4. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

Think of it as an excuse to upgrade your speakers!

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

There is a service that recones speakers - I'm sorry, but I cannot recall who they are - but, to tell the truth, I don't believe it is worth it to do so. I doubt that you can just buy the speaker cone; you would have to buy the whole driver, if it is available at all (doubtful also). Fixing the cone would be impossible to do right. A speaker cone and surround is designed to have a certain weight, stiffness and compliance. While you might be able to do something and make the driver work, it'll be way off its design points and won't perform very well.

My suggestion is for a new speakers - maybe you can find a decent deal on used ones. Look in the Hardware for Sale forum here - people are always dumping good stuff there.

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

You can buy refoaming kits from Parts Express for like $20 and do the repair yourself if the surround rot is the only problem. But if it's damaged worse than that, you may as well buy new speakers.