My speaker shopping is frustrating; guidance please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Sander, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

First - Everyone on this board who has posted replies to my numerous questions has helped me greatly narrow my choices. I thank all of you.

Now I (and my wife) have agreed to purchase an in-wall only system. I have reviewed plenty and visted all of the websites. It is very frustrating to shop for these speakers becuase almost all high-end products are sold by custom-install companies who do not have all products available to listen to and who ususally sell only one of the brands in which I am interested. Since they only sell one brand, I cannot get an unbiased opinion on the quality of the speaker versus a competing brand.

Here are the brands I am interested in hearing. I will be driving all over town on Sat. just to hear as many as I can.

SpeakerCraft 8.8MT

Sonance 843

DefTech UIW75

Paradigm SA-30

Phase Technology CI110

Kef Ci Reference 1500

B&W signature 7NT

Atlantic Tecnology System 10

Comments on any of these speakers is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Marshall,

I see you are in Phoenix. I live in Chandler. Where are you planning on going this weekend?

Showcase would be a good place to go, as they have many brands of in-wall speakers to demo. Also, you might want to check out Klipsch in-walls. I have some and they sound pretty good.

Jerry's Audio Video doesn't seem to have many brands, compared to Showcase. But I really wasn't looking at in walls when I went.

Good luck!

Bryan

3. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

Bryan - I am going to Hi Fi Sales to audition Paradigm; Sounds Like Music for B&W; Ultimate Electronics for DefTech; and Showcase for Sonance. That will take me all over the valley.

Thanks for your help.

4. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

Hey Marchall, I hope you know that the store of Sounds Like Music on I-17 and Bell moved to the new mall at I-101 and Tatum in Scottsale. Good luck and have fun.

Happy Easter to everyone!

Bry

5. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Marshall:

One of the best in-wall speakers made is the Thiel power-plane. (Their website is thielaudio.com. )

Larry