My speaker rattles?!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Anthony_I, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

Well, thats the closest that i can explain the sound, and it only happens at higher volume levels, and ONLY out of the voice coil vent in the magnet.
    Now i already took one back because of this, but then this one makes the noise too.
    So im thinking it could simply be the sound of air rushing out of the vent at high speeds.
    not only that my speaker is out of the box so ive no way to tell if it will make the sound inside of a box, not only that you cant hear it unless you stick your ear near the vent.
    nothing rattles when i shake the speaker and it sounds fine otherwise.

so what are your thoughts on the matter?

2. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

What kind of speaker is this and what amp are you using...I had a similar problem with a subwoofer once because i did some custom soldering on the amp and caused a voltage loop in one of the circuits causing the popping sound. see if the speaker makes the sound when the amp is on and you push the cone in and out...

i could be way off, but it happened to me

3. Anthony_I

Phoenix Gold Octane R12d

And its running off of my recievers built in amp, 114W powering a 250W sub (havent got my plate amp yet)
    ive also done no soldering or any kind of mods at all.
    not to mention that the sound stops when i plug the hole with my finger.

4. Anthony_I

Yeah, i'm like 98% sure that the noise is air coming from the hole. it also beats with the music in an odd sort of windy way.
    I doubt that it will do this when its placed firmly inside of its ph4t455 b0x0r!!

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Anthony,

All I can tell you is to stop running the damn thing free air. If you want to damage it, this is the best possible way to do so.

If you're worried about the driver, take my first bit of advice and return it, get your $$ back and buy a Shiva![​IMG]

6. Anthony_I

Well im not running it free air persay, only to test it out to see if it made that same noise with the replacement i got, and to figure out if it is air. other than i don't run it.
    but isn't that kind of an infinite baffle system (yes i dont understand infinite baffle lol... but i wont be doing that anyway)

and there are no returns for money back at the place i got it [​IMG]

but seriously, i like this speaker, mainly it will be used for music anyway. and when it really gets going, that LED in the center does some cool shit, and the PG logo looks like a hologram.... i was playing with in a buddies box the other day.

besides hopefully today my box will get finished.
    most all of the cuts are made to the MDF, now i just need to cut some of the angles and assemble it. and cut the hole.
    how could i go about cutting a perfect shaped hole? (i think my dad may have this covered anyway, he has just about every tool anyone can think of plus hes a milwright, so precision is his thing)

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

So if you get 2 or 3 subs, and they all end up being defective for one reason or another, you cannot demand your money back? Why you'd buy from such a place is beyond me. The fact that you're running it outside of an enclosure hard enough to hear any type of rattle means you're pushing it too hard. Like I said, if you want to damage it, this is a sure fire way to do it. Fancy looking drivers are to impress the car audio nuts and means that in many cases more money is spent on making the drivers look cool vs. making a quality product. Give me a plain jane looking driver that'll kick those pretty drivers' asses![​IMG]

An infinite baffle sub would be having the sub firing into your room while the back of the sub is firing into another room (very simple description here). In other words, the front wave of the driver is completely isolated from the back wave. What you're doing is running it free air, which means the front wave and back wave cancel one another out and you get very little output.

You can cut perfect circles with a plunge router and a circle jig.

8. Anthony_I

My dad ended up building the box when i was at work today....OMG!!!!! its sounds so damn good.
    All i need to do is get some screws, and a plate/clip for the wires, and im set for now.
    Next week i will be able to buy the plate amp to run it at full wattage [​IMG]

But no it doesn't make the sound.

as for why i would buy it there, it was the only place that carried it around here since i dont like ordering from the net whenever possible.
    and i did hear it before i bought it, not to mention that i was talking to a good guy woh help me find an effient speaker... yes i was in the car audio section. though im not a car audio nut, i do like flashy cool looking things. This i got from my parents, they like to buy expensive shiny things lol.
    But i won't be buying anything there anymore anyway.

How much difference would it make in sound, to have my speaker in my wall as opposed to in a box? I was seriously considering building the speaker into my wall before i decided to design a phat box. now ive got to finish the box, get the light rails/ring that flash to the music... the strobe light, and the amp. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Boy am I getting old... Whats the strobe for and what does it have to do with how the whoof sounds?

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yup, just to old....

I think it may have been better to be young and not know, than "older and wiser" that comes with age.

What one dose not know or understand, can't possibly bother him/her! Oh to be young again.....[​IMG]

Like I always have said, make it shiny and they will take it home....[​IMG]

Anthony:
    Congrates on your new LED, glowing, hologram, subwoofer. Just think how many of you friends might think it's too cool also....
    You may have found a great money maker for you, building these flash flash subs for your friends HT's/Stereo's...
    It's just a thought, cause it sure seems to have impressed you!

I belive I just don't understand this younger HT/Stereo generation....

Cheers
    Geoff

11. Anthony_I

I didnt buy it just for the look of it, i knew how it sounded, and i liked what i heard... not to mention that i like what im hearing with it.
    When i first saw it i honestly thought that its glowing ring, was pretty damn stupid, but wanted the speaker because of how it sounded, and that it was an effiecent speaker.

and the strobe light simply makes the sub look cool when its pounding away in the dark, im sure you know what a strobe light does, well, it makes the speaker look cool when it is on and only "showing" you flashes of the speaker moving.
    sort of like a timing light for a car.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Glad you are happy with the end product as that's all that matters.[​IMG]

Oh, but I'd hardly call 86dB 1W/1M an efficient driver. Driver's designed for small sealed enclosures are actually less efficient than those designed for larger enclosures.

13. Anthony_I

Well effiecent as it could be for a car speaker being used in a home audio enviroment.

Not to mention that at the time that iw as looking for speaker i was fully intending only on building a passive sub, and not a powered sub, since my reciever has its amp built in.

i had no idea that it would sound as good as it does without an amp.
    however i ended up getting into a deal buying an amp so i got a plate amp on its way to me which will be installed.
    then the speaker will be running at full power and not like half power.
    but that 0.9 Ft^3 is meant for the bassheads. it suggests a 1.2 Ft^3 box and that will make the speaker better reproduce the music better, and be not so bassy,.... i guess.
    The 0.9 box is called an "SPL" enclosure, the 1.2 box is the "Musical"
    i guess anything bigger is just better [​IMG]

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

If those size requirements are PG's recomendations, their are more than likely designs for the use in a car or truck.

Which by the way counts allot on cabin gain to produce spl and more important play play deep.
    If you didn't sim the driver out on a program you more than likely are not gettig the bass performance it's capable of in the home enviroment.

That sized sealed box size sounds way to small even sealed for home use....

If you simmed it out, I retract my reply....

So what is the F3 and Q of the encloser??

Geoff

15. Anthony_I

box was all designed using bassbox pro, and with help from others here.

bassbox lists my Q as 0.353 and my F3 is 24.71Hz.
    which isnt too too bad.
    I stuffed a fluffy/soft blanket in the bottom of it too and it seems to boom louder (good boom not the bad kind), so as soon as i get some money im going to buy a bunch of that polyester stuffing and fill it full.

It has a nice tight and hard hitting bass to it. not to mention a damn good rumble.... those "Ents" and Orc armies in LOTR: The two towers sure shook my room.