My speaker options, opinions greatly apreciated

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Odegard, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

Hi, this is my first post and obviously I am new here. But, I have a few questions for you. I'm looking to buy speakers for my home theater and I am limited as to what I can purchase. I am limited because I have a buddy that works at a local Audio King here in MN and this is also where I have my credit card through(I like that they always have 12-18 month no interest financing) and the biggest perk is he gives me great deals. Having said that here are my speaker options.
    I was looking at the Bose Acoustimass 15 II.I know I know, my buddy already told me their crap compared to what else they have in the store for the same price. So I looked into the other systems and here is what I found;
    I can go with
    -Infinity Modulus $1500 before discount, quite a good looking and sounding set of speakers. Here is a link to them at crutchfield for those unfamiliar with these speakers as I believe they are brand new. http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...DLSCH&o=m&a=0. Hit the tabs at the bottom of the page to learn more. I really like them because they come with mounting brackets, so that saves me another $100 or so.
    -They also have a package deal with other Infinity towers and bookshelf speakers that consist of Alpha series 50(main l/r channels) Alpha series 10 book shelf speakers for rear l/r channels, Alpha Center and Infinty IL20S powered sub(500w, 12in.)Price uncertain.
    next is
    -Def Techs(definitive Technology) Pro Cinema 80.5 $1000 before discount.
    -Last of all is the Def Tech package they offer. This consists of Def Tech's BP6B towers for main l/r channels, PCC2 center channel(2*5.5 drivers and 1" tweet), Def Tech BP1.2x for surround and Def's PS100TBL 250w powered sub. Price uncertain.
    They also carry Klipsch and Boston Acoustic which I don't care for. Someone else said it best in a different thread the Klipsch sound's skinny or no bass.
    My biggest question is should I go with the theater systems, IE Modulus, ProCinema or the package deals. I like the small size of the theater systems but, would I be sacrificing sound(midrange to lower midrange do to the jump from 4' mid's to a 12" sub, instead of with infinity package the Alpha 50 has 1' tweet, 5 1/4 mid and 2 8' drivers plus the sub)? I live in an apartment as of right know, so the bass isn't to big of a deal but I want these speakers to last the next 5-8yrs. Anyone know what I should go with? I love the big tower speaker look more than anyone but I really think those Modulus sperakers are pretty sweet but are they really a good speaker for the money?
    What would you do big or small?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have run both 4" and 6.5" bookshelves with my 12" sub, no problems ever. I'd go with what sounds / looks best to you. Take your time, and if you're in good with your pal, take each set home and return it to see how well each works in your room.

I'd pick the tower package, just because...

3. Matt Odegard

I wish I could take them home, but the Audio King doesn't go for that because whichever one I return they then have to sell it as an open box buy and lose money.

I think I might just go with the towers. They'll prolly add up to close to the same price and I'm sure they have to sound better than the Modulus, but its just their so big and the Modulus looks so cool. Ughh, decisions decisions.

4. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Go To : http://www.audioshop.on.ca/dahlquist.htm
    and checkout the new Dahlquists....get them from Canada at almost half the cost, talk to Marc..many readers have been very surprised and pleased!!
    I got a complete setup for $1500!! The biggest floorstanding QX10's, 10" sub, lare QX60C center, two awesome rear surrounds, all capable of being bi-wired!!
    Check it out!
    Alex
    Raleigh

5. dan levatan

dan levatan Extra

Matt, if you go with the def tech's. If your budget will allow don't go with the procinema 80's like you mentioned. Step up to the 100's for about $150 more. My brother in law went that route and the 100's sound much better.

6. Matt Odegard

Do you know the differnces off hand between the ProCinema 80/100/200 and the price differences. The local store here only has the 80's in stock and on display but I'm sure they could order me the PC100 or PC200. Do you think they would also sound better than the Infinty's?

7. Sanjiva

Sanjiva Agent

hi matt,

i have procinema 100s and i would also recommend going up to 100s for a "fuller" sound reproduction. the diference is primarily in the woofer which is 5.25" in 100s compared to 4.5" (i think) in 80s. this makes a diference, especially when playing music. the price difference is $175 vs $112.50 in MSRP. i am sure you can get 10% + discount.

another suggestion would be to upgrade to C2 center. For HT, that would make a huge difference.

hope this helps.

sanjiva