My Speaker Dilema PSB vs Polk (Long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricE, Aug 12, 2002.

1. EricE

EricE Agent

I need your help deciding!
    Alright, I did finally come to a decision on my speakers a month or 2 ago with the PSB 4t (well I actually heard the PSB 3LR but the driver configuration is exactly the same in the 4t (two 5.25" drivers and a 1" Aluminum dome tweeter in a 2 1/2 way design) just that the 4t is a floor stander vs the 3LR being a large bookshelf). With good solid performance that I knew I would be able to really enjoy my music and a dirt cheap price of $400 (US) (MSRP: $650), my mind was made up. They had features that I was looking for, like magnetic shielding and front firing ports. Not only that but they come with the full warranty and are sold at my local A/V store. NOTE: tested the 3LR with a NAD 60w/ch receiver.
    [​IMG]
    After all this waiting, this week's pay check will finally allow me to make my purchase (bills, tuition, and text book prices suck). On a whim I head over to another store to see if they have anything on sale or clearence. It turned out that they have almost every polk speaker on sale except of course for the LSIs and the other new models. So I bust out my test CD that I auditioned the PSBs with, and take a listen to the RTi800 (two 6.5" drivers and 1" Tri-laminate dome tweeter in a 2 way design, also magnetically shielded and bottom firing port with attached power port thingy). I go through almost the entire CD A/Bing the RTi800 to its small brother the RTi600 (800 easily wins), as well as the LSi 15 (which was only tads better, probably needs more power to really sing). At the end of the CD I knew I also had a speaker which I could be happy with, and with a clearence price of $360 (MSRP: $980) its also very tempting. NOTE: tested RTi800 with a Onkyo SR500 65w/ch receiver.
    [​IMG]
    So I'm pretty much now wondering if my original choice of the PSB 4t (B Stock) $400 is the right choice vs the Polk RTi800 clearence priced speaker (may or may not be the showroom) $360. Sound wise I can't make up a winner in my head, but then again I haven't heard the PSB 4t just the 3LR about 2 months ago. The other selling point of the Polk that I am thinking is the real wood finishes which from my knuckle test seems to make them very solid speakers. I just can't decide right now.
    HELP ME DECIDE! Give meany inputs, opinions, or more information I should have.
    Thanks in advance.

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Eric, I just became I POLK fan myself. I was in the same situation as you are except it was JBL vs Polk. I took home the POLK RT600i for $270/pair (I have a velodyne sub, so I didn't need or want the extra driver of the rt800i)...They're solid speakers and they come with a 5 year warranty.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Not that familiar with the PSB's, I am a fan of the RTi series. Even at list price, I considered them to be a bargain. Their midrange is smooth, transparent, and sweet. The low end has very nice definition and the highs are nicely articulate and natural. To me, this would be a no brainer. However, that is my ears and, in the end, you'll have to trust your own. The RT-351's in my daughter's bedroom are hooked up to an older, but nicer imo, Onkyo than the one you tested the Polks with. That NAD youo tested the PSB's with is, again my opinion, most likely a nicer receiver and more powerful too, despite the listed power ratings.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I wanted to add that I've heard more wonderful things about biwiring the Polk RTi's than any other speaker. So, if you end up with those, I'd also consider that option.

5. Steve Alan

Steve Alan Agent

EricE,

I've owned the rt800i's for close to two years, and although I like them a lot, and since I've heard nothing but good stuff about the lsi 15, I'm thinking about upgrading sometime in the not to distant future. However, I was shocked to see that you thought the lsi 15s were only a "tad" bit better than the 800i's. I have no way to know for my self because there is not an lsi dealer anywhere near me. Are they really that close to each other in sound? Is there anything about the lsi that makes it worth twice the $$$ in your opinon?

thanks for any comments or info!!!