MY soon to be HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gerald LaFrance, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi ALL this is my first attempt at a web page I dont think it turned out half bad I still have to resize the Pics they are at 1024x 768 but NOT too big.

The room is 19'x 12' I plan on getting a 106" screen do you think that is TOO Big I believe the next size down is 92"?? would that be a better screen size for my HT?? I am planning on getting the Sanyo Z2 which they reccomend a 100" screen but I figure a few more inches will not wash out the pic that much, I am gettin the 106" HDTV screen size

here is the link:

http://home.comcast.net/~glafsr/wsb/...ome.html-.html

[​IMG]

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Website is easy to navigate and good on the eyes. A fairly decent first crack. The room is also coming along. From 12' and with a decent screen material, you wont see the pixel structure. Are you buying a screen or simply making one?

3. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    Thnx Neil, I am still trying to decide if I should buy a screen or the DIY I saw on your website VERY NICE!! I would like to know would I be able to get a sheet of Formica 52"x92??

Any Pros or cons on your DIY screen ?? THNX!![​IMG]

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Gerald, the room is definitely big enough for a 106" screen. But it depends on your seating distance. With the Z2 you can sit as close as 1.5X screen width(about 12' back). You can get a sheet of Formica(or another brand) big enough for that screen size. I checked into it a while back, but it was going to be too expensive to do. I painted a sheet of 1/2" Medium Density Fiberboard and it worked out great. Good luck.

5. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
  6. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

You can get a screen size of just about any dimension.

I use a 100" Carada fixed screen as a compromise. As your projector lamp ages, it will lose brightness. You would hate to go too big, only to find out it is too dark a year from now and was stretched too far.

The Z4 is out now and I think you would be very pleased with its performance indeed!

7. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    I believe I read somewhere the Z2 could do a nice 98" screen size I figured just a few more inches wouldnt hurt, and probally by time I am ready they might have the Z5 out and I can get the Z4 for a good price!!

By the way I had looked at Carada screens, how do you like yours?? as I am still deciding on what one to get [​IMG]

8. joseph westcott

I have attached a link so you can see it.

I was very impressed with the packaging, the quick delivery, the attention to details, etc.

I chose the brilliant white because my projector is 18 feet from the screen. This was the recommended distance on projector central and it works great.

I could not be more happy with its performance. The black border on the criterion is a little wider than there standard offering but my room is so large, the scale was not as attractive.

You can find some pictures at this link if you are interested.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jbwestcott

Good Luck and if you need any suggestions on where to place the projector for best results, just let me know.

9. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Greets!

Can't comment about the overscan, but if you want to ~conform to DD recommended speaker placement WRT the THX recommended viewing distance, then a 106" screen width requires ~163" (13.6 ft), which dictates the L/R speakers be ~188" (15.66 ft) apart. [​IMG] Working backwards, with the L/R speakers in the corners equates to a ~125" (~10.42 ft) viewing distance regardless of screen width and ~81" wide screen (~93" 16:9 diagonal) if you choose to follow the THX recommendation.

GM

10. joseph westcott

Greg,

I appreciate the THX input but I would phrase it as more of a guideline.

If not, all the movie theaters would only have one row of seats!!! (JK)

Happy Holidays!

I'll double check the row count when I go see Narnja (sp?).

Seasons Greetings Gerald,

If you want to really go to the extreme, like some of us, you buy your speakers and receiver, place them in the room so that you get the best quality audio you can based on their final placement (I suggest a lot of testing with and without furniture). Fronm this, you determine the best seating distance for you, then you buy a projector and screen that fits these distances and works best in your room based on its own characteristics.

Bose does have one thing right. If you do not have good audio, you are missing half the experience.

11. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    Merry christmas joseph,

I was getting the HT Reciever and speakers B4 the projector and screen, altho I had a Basic speaker placement already figured out. But I will TEST B4 getting the projector I will also be using it for my Music room as well (DVD-Audio ect). but for arguments sake just say I am getting a 106" Screen the first row will be 13' on the mark and I will be getting a Sanyo Z3 will I have the Dreaded SDE???

My worst fear is that I'll have a SDE at that size or the pic won't look good. I will be using it for BOTH DVD & HDTV (Mostly Football). I want the BEST Possible Picture even if I had to go down to 92"-100" screen will be fine by me I just want a really nice picture w/ this projector.

[​IMG]

12. joseph westcott

You will not see the SDE that far from the screen.

I have to stand about 3 or 4 feet from my screen before I see it and the Z3 or 4 should be no different. I would not worry about PQ. They are going to have to wire your jaw shut once you get it up and running.

I think projector central's review should confirm this for you.

13. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    GREAT [​IMG]

What would be a minimum distance to the screen?? I would like to ADD another Row if possible??

14. joseph westcott

The biggest problem your viewers will have as they get closer to the screen is how high the screen is placed. No one wants to break their neck so the closer the seating, the lower the screen will have to be. Once you start installing large screens, you will find that you will run out of real estate real quick, especially if your components or second display are on the same wall.

My best advice is mask off an imaginary screen and try different seating positions with all your furniture, keeping in mind where the front speakers and center channel will be placed.

As you can see from my photos, I put my screen as low as I could without blockings its view.

15. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Gerald,

I think the biggest problem sitting too close to the screen is that the picture becomes way too big for your eyes' field of view. Watching for an extended period of time makes your eyes tired because they have to constantly scan the image to see the whole thing. My front row is at 11'6" to the head of a seated viewer, and is almost too close for my 96" x 54" screen. (see link below) I prefer to sit in my second row which is approx. 16' from the screen.

David

16. joseph westcott

Mr. Knoll has a valid point, as well.

It can boil down to preference. I tend to sit farther back when I watch at home or go to the theater. But I see people fighting for the front row too. My crude observations are that the younger you are, the closer you may want to sit to the screen.

My primary sitting distance is 16' or 17' back to the main couch.

So, mock it up and see what works for you.

17. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

I think the site is good! Simple to navigate, and menu is clear. Those are the most important things. Looks like you got a good start on the HT. It does take a long time. Good luck

Don

18. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Greets!

You're welcome, though we'll have to agree to disagree since 'guidelines' tend to be 'rules-of-thumb' based on opinions, whereas THX, SMPTE recommendations are based on human hearing and vision perception research that began in ernest almost a century ago at Bell Labs.

I assume (JK) means 'joke'. Regardless, there's somewhat more to it than what I posted, I was just giving an overview to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

Anyway, there's apparently been a paradigm shift on the HT forums WRT 'dedicated' HTs from trying to get as close as financially, etc., practical to an 'ideal' one so that they can experience the movie the way the producer intended since I last frequented them some years ago now, to 'anything goes' multi-media rooms with all the compromises that this implies, so based on your 'attitude' and some others that were a bit more venal in similar threads on the AVS forum recently, I'll take the hint and in the future keep my 'guidelines' on this subject to myself.

That said, my 'attitude' isn't meant to be a condemnation of anyone's audio/video personal preferences. These systems are first and foremost meant to entertain you and yours, I just believe that if certain basic 'rules' are ~followed that you will ultimately enjoy it as much or more with less design, set-up, and 'upgrade-itis' hassle/frustration.

GM

19. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    WEll I have Updated my Website with some new Pics of my Progress.
    I am running a lil behind as I made my Computer Room it took 2 months and my budget money for the Theater but it was worth it. So that is 1 more room done in the basement.

THNX for looking here is the link:

http://home.comcast.net/~glafsr/wsb/...ome.html-.html

20. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Hey, Gerald. Looking good man. Looks like were just about at the same stage. I am just now finishing with paint. I know what you're going through. Keep working at it! It's going to be awesome. I like what you did with the steel beam.

Don