my Sony STR-DE835 receiver has died (i think)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scotty_McW, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Hey everyone. I got up this morning and decided to watch a movie. I turned everything on and as I was waiting for the DVD to spin up, there was a loud pop that issued from my speakers. I thought, "that's peculair."

When the movie started, there was no sound. No sound comes from the VCR either, but if I hook the vcr and dvd player directly to the tv, I have sound. I tried to run a test tone and again, no sound. I doubt all my speakers would go out at the same time. I think it's the receiver, but I'm not totally sure. It's only 3 years old, but since I bought it as an open box item, I didn't get an extended warranty.

Any suggestions/ideas are very welcome.

I'm not too upset since I wanted to upgrade anyway, but it's still frustrating. Thanks everyone.

Scott

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like it's dead, and you are probably better off in that case anyway. If it were $50 to repair it, it might be worth it, otherwise start shopping for a new receiver. What is your budget?

3. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

John,

Budget is tight now since I'm still paying off my TV. I'm thinking around $500-800. Onkyo and Harman/Kardon look good to me, but convincing my wife is another story. Any ideas on either of those brands? Or do you have another suggestion?

I opened my Sony last night and it looks like a couple of fuses blew, so I'll start there first then, if that doesn't work, maybe I can convincer.

Thanks.

Scott