My Sony RPTV needs repair but ISF calibraion voided warranty

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jorossy, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

I had an ISF calibration done on my Sony KP51WS520 in the middle of May, which included the removal of the anti-glare screen and Duvetyne lining . Recently the picture became slightly green in the middle. However Sony and an Authorized Sony Warranty Service Technician told me that warranty repair is not possible because the ISF calibration, specifically the glare screen removal, voided the whole warranty.

I do have a Circuit City extended warranty that covers it for three years after the manufacturer warranty ends. Do you think they will just look at what the problem actually is and, unless they can prove that the glare screen removal and/or the Duvetyne lining is causing the green picture, fix it?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi J!

Not a chance that this service voided your warranty UNLESS the failure was related to the service AND THEY would have to prove that. Just be persistant.

Over the years there has been a lot of discussion around this topic at hometheaterspot.

Best wishes, and please keep me posted on your TVs status.

Gregg

3. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Sorry guys, but taking apart the TV DOES void the warranty. Read the fine print. Not only is the screen "anti-glare" but is considered protection and part of the set.

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Question:

If an ISF guy has to do the magnet trick to fix convergeance and gemoetry issues with a person's TV, often involving partial disassembly...does THAT void a manufacterer's warranty?

I guess someone should boil down for me: What should I NOT have an ISF tech do on my set, when the time comes?