What's new

my SONY hdtv w/o DVI/HDMI, what am i missing?? (1 Viewer)

Nauman

Agent
i got my Sony WEGA 34" HDTV capable set 4 months back

it is capable of accepting 480i to 1080i scanning lines.but there are no DVI/HDMI connections at the back. does that mean i wont be able to get complete 1080 signal even though it is capable of displaying one ?.

im about to add a 5.1 audio setup with a denon 3805 reciever.

adding to that i was going to add a high end progressive dvd player with dvi/hdmi output (prob denon with denon link).

since im new to all this HT thing, im confused about the signal that i would get from my dvd player to the TV set through component video cables.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Most find that component does as good a job as DVI or HDMI. I have 3 HDTVs, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, one component. I see no visible differences.

John S

Senior HTF Member
There are a few upcnverting players that will convert DVD to 1080i and output it on the component video. Most HDTV sources will output 1080i via the component connections as well.

The set is not what we call future proofed, but in todays world it really doesn't lack any functionality as far as HD goes.

Nauman

Agent
thanks for that info, i was hoping to hear exactly that :D

ill be careful in the choice of my cables now, and dont worry tat doesnt mean ill go for monstor. though here in Pakistan i dont have many choices. other brand available here is QED.

i compared the specs of 34"XBR960 and the 34"(asian model) i have, and there is significant difference. the one that i own is the top of the line available here. but i think its good enuff coz the HD channels are not likely to be broadcasted any time soon.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Would it make sense to buy one of these TVs without a DVI or HDMI input right now? I have a 30 inch Philips that has HDMI right now but I'm looking to upsize for football season to a Samsung 47 inch. However, this TV doesn't have either of those inputs so I'm not sure if I want to do it. It's a great bargain though and I really don't want to miss out but if it's going to be a major issue and cripple the functionality of the TV then I might as well spend the extra $400 and get this Toshiba 46 inch I've been looking at which has an HDMI input and 2 components. What do you esteemed denizens of HTF think about this?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Uhhhhhh. If you are going to upsize and give up HDMI/DVI, I'd certainly try to go bigger in screen size than that.

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
Here are my thoughts...when going from component to HDMI or DVI you are changing from analog/digital conversion (component) to pure digital (HDMI/DVI). Is there a huge difference, barely, but I have tried both on my Toshiba 51 inch tv, and have noticed fewer artifacts when using HDMI instead of component.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks