Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the Sonotube I want to build. Please critique
Diameter 24"
Length 48"
Driver Tempest
1 Port 6" x 23.5"
Down firing.
It will be driven my a old Kenwood amp. With a different amp into each voice coil until I can afford a decent amp ;)
It will be in a very large room. 10 foot ceiling and about 20 x 25 for dimensions it also opens into the rest of the house. I will probably have to build another one eventually but this should work for now. Especially since I am going from a small 8" Velodyne I bought 3 years ago.
Let me know what you think. Or if you see any problems.
Thanks
Ted

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Ted,

We are almost DIY Twins!

I'm building a Tempest Sonotube too:

Diameter 24"
Length 43" (41" internally - about 280-290L)
Driver Tempest
1 Port 6" x approx. 20"-21"
OR 2 Ports 4" x approx. 20" (I've got materials for both)

Tune: 16-17Hz

Down firing.

It will be driven by an old Pro-Logic Kenwood amp (KR-V7040) with a different amp into each voice coil (8 ohm load). I'll see how it works. I rarely listen at loud volumes.

My room doesn't have 10' ceilings (8'), but it is about 15' x 25' and does open into the rest of the house.

I've been fairly happy with my 8" Kenwood sub (from HTiB 504) in this room, so I don't anticipate needing a second Tempest. I also hope to have a closed off dedicated HT/Media room in our next house, so the one should be plenty.

Do you have the tools to build? This can be a major initial expense if you don't already have them.

I'm taking lots of pics of construction, etc. with my digicam, but I'm still looking into hosting. My ISP may provide some space, so hopefully, I'll get some pics up sometime.

Keep me posted on your progress. Use this thread, I'll check back in occasionally.

JKS

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I do have most of the tools. Most importantly the router. In addition my Paster in town is pretty good at wood working and has agreed to help me with the circles and he has the rest of the tools I am missing.
All in all I'm pretty lucky in that regard. I also found my sonotube for $54 Canadian for 12 feet of 24" so I'm happy. I'll have lots left for a second sub if I build one :D
Ted

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all. I purchased everything I need today except for a covering.

A couple of quick questions. Would carpet work good for a covering?

I got some 6" PVC for the port. It measures out to 5 7/8" thats fine I'm sure but I wanted to ask.

Thanks

Ted

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
At a glance, tuning appears to be a little lower than I would do since even with modest power vent mach sims a bit more than I care for in your case, and of course gets worse with increasing power. Normally when tuned this low, room gain helps you out so it's no big deal, but since it opens up to other areas the gain down to ~20Hz will in theory be minimal. So you probably won't be able to reach DD reference without either going beyond Xmax and/or clipping the amp, with some increase in distortion.

Carpeting/throw rug is fine for a covering and the slightly smaller vent will raise vent mach/lower Fb an inaudible amount.

GM

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Instead of carpet I cut my top caps with a 1/2" overhang and covered it with a carpet foam. it is medium density and is pretty light. I used an adhesive spray and rolled the foam on by laying the tube horizontally and spraying a couple inches(6-8") then rolling the tube and so on. I left some overhang and then cut it flush at both ends without the caps in. I also did this inside the tube.

when I was all done I bought some black stretchy material and put a seam down the length so it would have to stretch over the tube. I left this a bit longer also. I cut that down and stuffed the edge under the seam of where the foam meets the top and bottom caps. Other than a small goof up cutting the foam flush it turned out good.

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. Greg I already changed the length of my port to 21". With the shelf it will be 21.75" should tune to around 18Hz. A little better than 15. Dustin pointed that one out ;)
I will look at the under pad idea. It will depend on what I can find.
Anyways it is almost ready for painting. Then my real headaches begin. It has been pretty easy so far.
Thanks all
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks