My Son John

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BrianRi, May 21, 2005.

1. BrianRi

BrianRi Stunt Coordinator

This anti-commie camp classic has never been available on video, and I've never seen it aired on tv. Does anyone have the skinny on why "My Son John" has been MIA, and know if there are any plans to release it on DVD? This movie was directed by the great Leo McCarey, and was the last film of the great Robert Walker. I doubt the political content has been the problem, as other anti-commie films like "The Woman On Pier 13" (aka "I Married A Communist") and "I Was A Communist For The FBI" have been available on video for years.

THIS STORY MUST BE TOLD!!!

2. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I remember seeing "My Son John" many years ago before I was old enough to appreciate it and would love to see it again. I haven't a clue why it's not available, but I too doubt it's for political reasons. Most likely it's a rights issue.
    I'd buy it in a minute just for the director and cast.

3. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

MY SON JOHN was shown on Network tv (ABC) in the early 70s. The original film ran 122 minutes and was edited by the network to fit a 2-hour slot including commercials. Walker's death before the film's finish required McCarey to use an excerpt from Walker's death scene from Hitchcock's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN that same year. McCarey looped Walker's voice for his death scene in MY SON JOHN and Walker's post-humous mea culpa via audiotape played at a University in which he renounces Communism. Despite the strange political sensibilities of the film, the film is more interesting as a benign "generation gap" comedy-drama in the spirit of MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (also shamefully absent from any video). Frank McHugh even shows up as Father O'Dowd--repeating the same part that he played in GOING MY WAY. Paramount does own the rights to MY SON JOHN.