What's new

My son has died, need some Zoolander references for the eulogy (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Hugh, that is an amazing, touching and very generous thing. Sometimes we can get support from even unlikely sources, please keep us informed on the scholarship developments.

I must interject this point, my high school gives out a scholarship every year, honoring a debater that was killed in a driving accident not too long after he had graduated from high school, and it was a scholarship I was picked for my senior year by his parents and the debate coach due to my involvement in the team. I say this not to puff up my own ego; I've got to tell you that the particular moment still lives with me. Even though I never knew the kid, to learn about him and find that those that new him well found traits that he carried in me also; I hope that whomever ends up with the scholarship in Tim's name feels the same way.

Take care Hugh and god bless.
Casey Trowbridge
Aberdeen, SD.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
A handsome picture of your son.

When the scholarship fund is set up please place details regarding contributions -- if the forum mods don't object.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Scholarship fund update

Annette got more information about the man who is starting the Tim Jackes "Voice of an Angel" Scholarship. It turns out that I have met him, at Tim's funeral service.

Obviously, at the time, I could have met the president and a man from Mars and I wouldn't have made a connection.

Anyway, it turns out that, yes, his son rode the schoolbus with Tim. But more, his son has a condition that is akin to Autism that makes him socially very awkward. The father has mainstreamed his son into the public school system rather than a Special Ed school. As we all know, the pecking order of high school can be brutal, and a kid who is "different" is an easy mark. This boy told his father that the only kid who would sit with him on the bus, the only kid who was nice to him, in fact his best friend was my Tim. Obviously, that makes me even more proud of my son.

As I said earlier, it is amazing the lives that our children create outside of our front doors. Lives that, as they get older, we have less and less insight into. This slice of Tim's life, of which I had no idea, explains why this kind man has made such an effort on Tim's behalf.

S i g h . I'm getting leaky again.

Postscipt: He anticipates having all of the legal, 501c3, paperwork, which qualifies the foundation as a tax-deductible non-profit done in about three weeks. He expects to have enough of a starting balance that it will be an annual scholarship.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Wow. What a wonderful tribute to your son's memory, Hugh. And what an impact Tim made in his short time on this planet.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
how sad, I'm sorry for your loss. I have a 6 year old boy and just can't even imagine what you and your family must be going through, godspeed to you.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Hugh, there are no words to express how truly sorry I am to hear of your loss. I lost my grandmother around the same time last year and that was very hard. I can't even imagine how tough it must be to lose a child.

My deepest condolences go out to you and your loved ones.

BTW, I'm very happy to hear that Tim was a great kid and that his name will live on. You should be really proud.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I just now saw this thread and am sorry for your loss.

I'm bummed because my siganture contains a quote from "Zoolander" Quote:
[After spitting out and spilling some bad coffee all over his assistant] Mugatu: Todd! Are you not aware that I get farty and bloated with a foamy latte!?

I updated my signature to get the quote exactly right.

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Hugh,
I just discovered this thread, and I'd like to give you my sincerest condolences. I got "leaky" reading all the posts.
Being a father of 2 boys, myself, I can't even imagine what you are going through.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I got "leaky" reading all the posts.

Me too...I've visited the thread several times since its inception and haven't made it through a new batch of appends without welling up.

I'm glad the scholarship fund is up and running Hugh. If my 3 year old boy grows up to be half the person Tim was, I'll be incredibly proud.

My sincere condolences.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Thanks to all of the latest posters. Thanks also for bumping this thread back into view.

We are a little better after eight weeks than we were in the first week after Tim's accident. But, the world is still too cold, too dark, and too unfriendly.

Everyday things can sneak up on us, slap us in the face, and sink us back into depression. Also, even the enjoyable things that we do (and, life must go on, or so people tell us) lead to thoughts of how Tim would have enjoyed it. Just this weekend, for example, we finally saw The Return of the King with visiting relations. Gandolf's discussion of the nature of death with Pippin had Annette and me weeping in the theater. Then, driving home, we talked about how Tim was looking forward to the movie and how (regrets) his church youth group was planning on going the night he died but so many people were out of town for Christmas they cancelled the outing. So, Tim went to his friend's house instead of the movies. Of course, either outing should have been equally safe.

Sorry. Didn't mean to go down that road. But, my entire life has been spent on that or similar roads for almost two months now.

Every other weekend or so, one family member or another comes to town to pay their respects (timing being everything, many people couldn't arrange or afford plane tickets on short notice during Christmas week) so we get a couple of days of diversion. But then, when they go home, the house seems even more still and quiet than it did before their visit.

But, we go on. My other son Dennis keeps us from insanity.

I notice that with the passage of time, the title of this thread looks flip. At the time, I wasn't looking for therapy and support through this thread, simply help with the eulogy. I got that help immediately, in 5 minutes. Then this thread became what it is. I visit often, and use all of your kind thoughts, suggestions, and prayers as a crutch to keep me upright and breathing.

Quote:
If my 3 year old boy grows up to be half the person Tim was, I'll be incredibly proud.
Kindly said. My prayers for your son, Bob, and all of your sons, all my friends, is simply that they grow up. Peace to you all.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I've been avoiding this thread as I lost a family member on Christmas Eve and I'm now the sole bearer of my family name. But now I wanted to chime in and offer my deepest sympathies on your loss. The Egyptian Book of the Dead contains a passage that helps me through times like this. It goes:

"Take wings to fly the zenith, or sleep in fields of peace. By day the sun shall keep thee. By night, the rising star."

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I was just sitting in my bright cheerful basement with my 4-year old son and 2-year old daughter. My son was playing with his dinosaur cards, my daughter was playing with her minnie mouse, and I jumped onto this forum. 10 minutes later, I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I am so sorry for your loss.

I don't know if it helps, but you have given me a sharp reminder of what is important in life.

Users who are viewing this thread