What's new

My son a football prodigy? (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Let me start my saying I suck at football. I truly am lame at it. Can't throw a decent spiral to save my life. I don't even like watching it.

So my 7 yr old son gets a nerf ball for camp last week. I show him how to hold it and throw it.

His very first throw is like a missile - perfect spiral straight as an arrow.

And his second

and his third....

After playing for a while he threw maybe 1 dud in 5 throws. And his duds look like my regular throw.

Catching the ball is a whole new issue - he isn't very good at that.

Now - given my limited experience - is this normal or is he talented?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Amazing, fantastic, you son is a true prodigy!!!

OR maybe you're a proud father. "Oh look he pointed at the ducky! He's a genius:)

Brent

You can't throw a spiral HA HA!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I heard that Joe Montanna's first throw was a good one. I wouldn't start thinking about something like this at this kids age. School, education, good morals are all 10 times more important than sports. They should be something kids do for fun, then maybe around 9th grade if they are talented then go from there. Don't try to breed an athlete because you want one.

And lastly, a nerf football is about the easiest thing to throw regardless of age. They are designed so that everyone can throw them well.

Markus Lidstrom

Stunt Coordinator
You didn't blitz him fast enough and he had time to get off good throws. Try trash talking to throw him off his game too (be sure to say bad things about his mother).

Should even up the field a little bit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And lastly, a nerf football is about the easiest thing to throw regardless of age. They are designed so that everyone can throw them well.
Not necessarily true. Some people simply don't understand the mechanics of throwing a Nerf (or a football) to get a tight spiral. Of course, I spent my youth perfecting my perfectly spiraled Nerf throws...

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I would hire an agent and try to get a fat Nike contract. Sell your house, buy a mansion, etc. Try to cash in on the kid's talent early on. Why wait?:)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I think your thinking of those ones with the spiral grooves. This nerf is the old-fashioned kind like uld oldies had as kids.

And yes, I can't throw a spiral - I used to just count ahead to see what team would get the last pick and then walk over to them before they got there.

I'm no real football fan. Never have been - I've really tried it and just can't get into it - so I can' be accused of fostering this in my son.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I can't throw regular footballs, I can throw NERFs OK though, my small hands are not good for footballs, which is why I am so into cycling. :)

Jay

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
If the kid likes to play football I would get him into a Pop Warner or flag football league, if he doesn't, than you can always just play catch. Not sure what age Pop Warner and the like start at but he would have fun.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I think Steve brought up some good points.
School, education, good morals are all 10 times more important than sports.
I’m not putting down education and morals at all but athletics are a good thing for your kids to be interested. Supporting his active lifestyle will be good later in life to remain healthy and fit. Team sports also teach teamwork, leadership and discipline. Parents should challenge there kids in every part of life, everyone in life needs new challenges. As adults we can create them on our own, kids sometimes need a little push in the right direction.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
My 16-month old son tries to pull the plug out of his little football with his teeth.

BUT, he does "throw" it, straight down.

He will say "football" when he sees it, and sometime says "football" to the TV when a game is on. It's sorta like "butbaw", but you get the idea.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I've read quite a few accounts of school yard prodigys. One observation they have made when turning pro, is that the speed of the game is much faster and the players hit a lot harder. As long as he knows that going in, he should be fine.

My 16-month old son tries to pull the plug out of his little football with his teeth. BUT, he does "throw" it, straight down.

He will say "football" when he sees it, and sometime says "football" to the TV when a game is on. It's sorta like "butbaw", but you get the idea.
In my first read through I mistakenly read "my 16-year old."
I thought was "isn't this behavior pretty much the norm for 16 year olds. But for a 16-month old!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.