What's new

"My So Called Life" complete box set. Why this makes me happy & angry.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
While I am glad that a company has went out and put a short lived tv show on dvd. It just pisses me off that shows that are 100's of times more popular languish in a vault or a in syndication hell. Now, before fans of the show flame me for saying this. You may think that this show was the greatest ever. Heck, if they released the Flash on dvd I probably be super psyched. While most consumers probably wouldn't care. I think it is more frustration at the lack of product out there (ie-Babylon 5 :rolleyes: ). I know their has been tremendous growth in the tv on dvd product. And more is destined to come. It is weird to think that studios don't think they can make money on a dvd release of a show, when a smaller company is going make money on an short runned tv show. I find it hard to believe that Universal(Battlestar Galactica, Miami Vice) and Warner (Babylon 5) thinks that they would never sell enough to make money.
And don't get me started on what is available around the world.
ps-Oh well, I think it just comes down to me being jealous that someone else is getting their favorite show and I'm not. Well at least until March 26. When my Trek:TNG comes out. ;)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Todd-
If it makes you feel any better,
I am confident that if Warner, Paramount, or Universal
owned the rights to My So-Called Life,
we would not be getting this show on DVD.
The few nickels that will be made from this pressing
of DVDs, which I would guess will be of a limited number
far less than 10,000 units, would not motivate
any of the bigger studios to release it.
I suppose I have the bankruptcy of BMG to thank for
the fact that I will be able to get this show, which
yes, I do think was one of the best ever, and certainly
the best ever to deal with parents/friends/adolescence
in a complex, highly-detailed manner.
And actually, the first season has a perfect arc
of a storyline between Brian, Angela, and Jordan.
Mark

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My only regret with MSCL is that I may not have the finances to buy it. I agree with Mark's assessment, MSCL is one of the few TV shows I would want in my collection.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
In a very recent mailshot about the My So-Called Life box set, the initial (limited edition) print run was quoted as 2500 copies, of which 1700 have already been pre-ordered.
If you're interested in this superb series on DVD, there may not be much time left to register your interest. Here's a link to the relevant website:
My So-Called Life Limited Edition DVD Box Set
Personally I'm delighted that this series is getting a release. Here in the UK the BBC are running a similar project catering for niche markets, releasing some very worthwhile (PAL format) material:
BBC Worldwide Special Interest DVDs
With material like this finding an eager market, I hope that we'll eventually see the release of another cult series with a ferociously loyal audience: American Gothic

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Sure hope I find work...today is the last day to order with free shipping, knocking $7 off the price. I just hope they do a good job on this one. The lunchbox sounds interesting, I also hope it is metal like the Lain set. I guess we'll see.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just go to the order page listed above. It mentions it at the bottom if you order before 03/01.

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Jeff. I must've just read the first part of that paragraph when I placed my order a couple weeks ago. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks