What's new

My Sister Sam? (1 Viewer)

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on this show? It's pretty low on the request list at TVSOD, so I guess I guess it's not likely.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
One episode was on a bonus disc for Murphy Brown season 1, I think that was it. I'd go for it but Murphy Brown did poorly due to poor distribution and scheduling, I would fear for this series.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
There's not a chance in hell of this show ever appearing on DVD, but it's the one show I want to see more than any other. It ran for only two seasons, so you'd think it wouldn't be such a big deal, even in a limited release. 8 or so discs for the whole show and that's it.

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you say that, not that popular? I don't remember what the ratings were like, I'm guessing dismal.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
This show isn't remembered for anything other than the eventual fate of its youngest star, murdered over a year after the show ended. To this day, people wrongly assume the show was canceled because of that.

I've seen only 4 episodes and some random clips of it, and I found it to be funny, genuine, and aside from the obvious '80s hair and clothing styles, not dated. When it was on, I watched it with my mother but have no memory of it which is why I say I've only seen 4 episodes - many years later that someone mailed to me (a recording off some U.S. cable station)

When "The Dark Knight" hits theaters this summer, it will have a maudlin cloud hanging over it because of the film's villainous Joker.
This show had the same sort of feeling attached, only after the fact.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If it does come out I'd hate to have to be the person promoting it. Especially considering what happened to that poor girl.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, it's a very tricky thing.

On one hand, you have people who were fans of the show and want to see it again, and look at it fondly, separating the art from the artist and enjoy the show for what it is.

On the other hand, while it wasn't Rebecca Schaeffer's last film/TV series or anything, it is what she is best known for and there isn't any way around that other than focusing entirely on its other stars. Something like this:

"Pam Dawber in her follow-up to her classic hit 'Mork & Mindy' alongside David Naughton (An American Werewolf in London, Seinfeld), Joel Brooks (Six Feet Under) and Jenny O'Hara (King Of Queens) star in this funny, quirky series about a San Francisco photographer!"

Or something to that effect.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Another one of those series that I'm just going ahead and transferring my off-air CBS masters for. I don't think it will ever see a release so I'm just going with what I have.

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
I have just about all the episodes from the CBS recordings and I agree that it was an absolutely adorable show. I'd love to get it in a higher quality than the VHS transfers but they will have to do. I agree, it would be very, very hard to market the show after what happened to Rebecca. Although, there have been other instances where a movie was released after a tragic death, but I guess it never was as well-known (ie, Judith Barsi in All Dogs Go To Heaven).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think you guys are overplaying the factor Rebecca Schaeffer's death plays in the possible release of this series. After all, Brad Silberling (Schaeffer's boyfriend at the time of her death) wrote and directed Moonlight Mile, which is based on the whole thing. It is somewhat fictionalized (regarding the motive for the murder as well as the decade, plus moving her family from Oregon to the NE) but it was still done and got fairly wide promotion.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a single volume of the entire series, sometime.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Moonlight Mile was a semi-autobiography, with Silberling giving interviews talking about the real life story behind the film. Rebecca Schaeffer's parents did the same, as they were fictionalized in the film as well.

This is a light 1980's sitcom, and despite all of this happening 19 years ago, it's still very fresh in people's minds. Wow, 19 years ago. Batman came out about a month before, damn...got a little sidetracked, sorry.

I guess it depends on the show, and how much of a presence that particular person had on it, as shows like "Family Affair" and "Diff'rent Strokes" are out on DVD, with both shows featuring actors suffering rather grim deaths. "Voyagers!" is another, and although it's not out in a full season, "Chico and the Man" is yet another show with that stigma attached.

Sometimes it has no affect at all: look no further than the movie "Poltergeist".

I don't think "My Sister Sam" will ever be released because it's just not on the radar, and anyone who didn't actually see it knows anything about it beyond it starring someone who is more famous for a law-changing death than anything else. (That bothers me more than I care to admit)

I wouldn't be surprised if no one ever mentioned the show in a Warner Home Video chat. Just not a highly requested title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks