My Sherwood Newcastle PrePro has a buzzzzz !?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave Nelms, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms Stunt Coordinator

Well after 5 years of good service it seems as if my Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080 is starting to act up.

While watching movies I have noticed a very distinct buzz, almost like a ground humm, coming from my system and it is only in the subwoofer channel. After following the tips for elimination of ground hum and connecting and disconnecting components I have discovered that the Humm/Buzz is coming from my preamp.

I have disconnected the sub and swapped connections to the main amps and the sub channel and the buzz continues but only in the sub output chan. The other channels are dead quiet. Also the buzz only starts when there is an active sub signal.

Well If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to fix the problem or if anyone knows what the problem may be, please let me know.

Obviously the warranty has expired and I am not looking to spend a large amount of cash on repair.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Lot's of reasons...
    1) disconnect the cable running to your tv or system and listen for a noise. you want the cable completely disconnected so eliminate any interconnects you've got going to the tv too.
    2) bad sub cable
    3) amp in the sub might be acting up.

3. Dave Nelms

Chu

Thanks for the reply. I have checked all the cables and the sub is currently connected to my old preamp (Marantz DP-870) and working flawlessly.

I disconnected the entire system and checked the Sherwood by connecting it only to the sub through the sub output and it buzzed. I then connected the sub to the other outputs and no buzz. I then connected the sub out to the main speakers amp (Accurus A250) and I got the buzz in the speaker. With each connection I changed the interconnects twice to be sure it was not a bad cable.

So I am pretty sure it is the sub output on the preamp. I was just wondering if this is something that happens to preamps or is mine a special case. Can it lose a ground connection or could something have gone out in the internal works that cause only the low frequency chan to have this problem?

Thanks again for the info.

Dave

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Any piece of electronics can suddenly develope a flaw at any time. My AVP-9080 served me well for almost 5 years and I never had a problem with it. You could always contact Jeff Hipps of Sherwood and ask him how much it would be to repair it.

Jeff L

5. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

I recommend you call Eugene Chavez the head of Shewood's technical services. Gene can be reached at 800 962-3203 ext. 115 to discuss your service options.

Jeff

6. Dave Nelms

Jeff-

Thank you for the information. I will give him a call. Is there a good time to call or just during normal business hours?

7. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

We're open 8 AM to Noon and 1 to 5 PM Pacific Daylight time.

Jeff

8. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Dave ,.
    I can second Jeff's and Sherwood's dedication to customer service. They will fix you up proper.
    >>>--->

9. Dave Nelms

Thanks again fellas.

Unfortunately a few other problems have cropped up (not related to Home Theater) and the repair will have to wait in line but I will seek out the info as you provided.

Thansk again!

Dave