What's new

My screen just arrived, now.... (1 Viewer)

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
...I still have to figure out how I want to mount the projector. Actually, I know I want to mount it from the ceiling, but I can't seem to find out if my projector is capable of pointing down a little bit, so the the top of the image is say a foot lower than the projector lense, and about 9-10 feet away. I really would like the top of the image to start 2ft down from the ceiling, (and therefore 2 1/2 ft up from the floor for a 96x54 image on a 9ft wall), and I'd prefer at most a 1ft drop mount from the ceiling - WAF is important.

So - anyone know if I can mount a Sony HS3 projector just a bit higher than the top of the image?

BTW, I think the model of DaLite screen I got should be called "The Mother". It's a manual roll-down 96x72", and seems bigger in person!

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I'd check out the projector/screen forums over at AVS Forum, you'll find a lot more people familiar with this projector and setting up screens. Where the projector lens needs to be positioned in relation to the top of the screen varies from one projector to the next. Your owner's manual should be detailed in this regard, I don't know this projector off the top of my head. It is common however, for the lens to normally be at the top (or bottom, if setting the unit on a table as for a business presentation) of the image.

Any projector can be tilted down, but the result will be a trapezoidal shaped image, instead of rectangular. How bad it is depends on the angle of tilt. This can be corrected by using digital keystone correction, which may or may not impart a noticeable other type of distortion to the image. The best option of course, is to find a projector with lens shift, which lets you move the image around quite a bit, optically, without moving the projector or introducing any distortions. I don't know if your projector has lens shift, sorry.

http://www.avsforum.com

Aaron Gilbert

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I mounted my screen where I wanted it, then manually held my projector up (while it was running) to see where it would give me the best picture. When I found that spot, I mounted it there. But I don't have the projector you mention, so I don't know how it mounts.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The HS3 does not have lens shift so you will be using keystone correction to correct for the trapezoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks