What's new

My satellite receiver shorted out! (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
After doing a little re-wiring my 7 year old Sony SAT B2 sparked a little when I plugged it in. Now all I get is a message "A short has been detected in the receiver. Turn unit off and on to reset" This of course is not working. Is it time for a new one (with Tivo) or is there a quick fix I haven't found yet. I was thinking of getting a Tivo unit soon anyway, but since I have another tv I would like to keep the old receiver as well. I don't feel like buying two right now. And which Tivo to get, the RCA or Hughes? There both $99 now. Thanks in advance. Gene

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Sony 1st Gen Hard-Reboot, Sony 2nd Gen Soft/Hard-Reboot
To do a hard reboot on a second generation Sony push and hold the TV/DSS and Down Arrow at the same time. A Menu will come up at this point and you want to select TEST on the screen. Once the test is complete select STOP on the screen and the system will do a hard reboot and restart.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because underneath their slightly different cases, they are identical. They are all made at the same factory in Mexico by Solectron.

-Robert

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Jerry, thanks for the info, but that didn't work either. I tried other TV/DSS and arrow combo's but they were also un-sucsessful. And Robert, I suspected as much but wasn't sure. I'd really like to know who makes all this HT stuff. Probably a million brands and four manufacturers! Gene

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Gene,
When I had the same sony years ago, I always seemed to get that same "A short has been detected message".
This test/reboot had always fixed the problem/error code within the system, not always the first time.
So it may be worth your time to repeat the steps a few times. Good luck.
edit:
When you do this try it without the card in the box,
Let it complete, then when it ask's you to install the card.

Well, you don't say what you have for equipment, but have you considered moving to HD? As a 2+ yr DTV subscriber, if you have been paying at least 45/mo and have not had late payments, you'll qualify for an HDTV receiver, a triple LNB dish, installation w/ a 1 yr commitment. They will charge the full amount (~400) to your CC and credit your programming back ~301.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thanks for the reply Bill. I do have an HDTV and was considering a change to HD but there just hasn't been enough programming to justify the extra $11 per month . I am researching it now and it looks like I might just as well do it anyway. I've been a DTV customer for 7 years @ $39.99 so I'm going to call and see what they will do for me. Dish Network is offerring an HD receiver for free right now so that is also an option though I don't care for they're programming packages. It looks like my old Sony receiver is history (my fault. I plugged straight into an outlet, not a surge protector!) so I'll have to decide soon. Again, thanks for the input fella's. Gene

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thanks for the link Bill. You were right! That was quite a read. With 7 years and a perfect payment record, not to mention EFT which they must like allot, I'm going to push for the best deal yet or mosey on over to Dish where I can get a free HD receiver and a free STD receiver and free install. I'll post here what the outcome was in a few days, maybe Mon or Tue. I need a couple days off from this. Too many numbers bouncing around in my head! Once again, thanks for the help :emoji_thumbsup:. This is what this forum, and the internet in general, is supposed to be used for! Cheers, Gene

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Gene - I've been a DTV customer for 10 years, also w/a perfect payment record, and I've been wanting a Tivo, so I called up and threatened to switch to Dish, and they gave me a free DirecTivo, locked me in at the $33.99 total choice rate (it's going up in March), gave me a free dish upgrade to the multi-satellite (locals are coming in April, finally, for me), and gave me HBO and Showtime for $12 a month. Just threaten to switch to Dish and point out how long you've been a customer, and you should be able to get a good deal.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,
Where you at in Wisconsin? Thanks for the info. I just might have to call up DTV and follow your lead.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Tyler - I'm in Green County, south of Madison. I asked for free HBO, since new subscribers get 3 months of it free, and they said they couldn't give me that, so gave me 2 for 1 HBO/Showtime for 6 months, fine by me, I'd be getting HBO for the Sopranos anyways. Plus w/Madison locals starting in April, I'll have the new dish already set up, so I'll just have to call up DTV and have them turned on in April. The dish upgrade I guess is normally $50, so that with the $100 Tivo I got for free, I saved $150 on hardware alone. They're coming next week, so I'll update you on how it goes, hopefully they don't mess up the billing (*crossing fingers*).

Just make sure to say that you love DTV but it's just more economical to switch to Dish Network right now for you.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
"hopefully they don't mess up the billing (*crossing fingers*)." You got that right.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, I called DirecTV today and talked to their "customer retention" person, told him my story and said I was considering a switch to Dish because of their free offers. In less than 5 minutes I had a Tivo unit and basic receiver scheduled for free install next Tuesday! (I have to work everyday untill then). When I told him in passing I would be without DTV for a total of two weeks, he quickly credited my account for the time I went without! What can I say, you guy's were right again and DTV has to be the best. Can't wait for my Tivo to see what all the fuss is about! Thanks again! Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks