My Samsung 47" RPTV Will Be Setup Soon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveMo, Aug 3, 2002.

1. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

Well since buying my Samsung 4715W RPTV and getting it on may 6th I willl finally have the protector screen replaced that was scratched and they will fix the convergance if all goes well. I have an extended warranty with Sears.

They would not fix my Convergance that has a tiny transparent shadow until the fix the screen because they said they would have to do it again when they fixed it. I have not spent very much time watching my DVDs (mabie just a dozen times) it although I watched some regular telivison on it regularly. I mostly watched movies for testing purposes.

At least I gave myself enough time for LOTR which I am currently reading. They will try to fix it on the day before the movie!

My service manual is waiting.......

Thought I would share. I will update this later on.

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Congratulations ! Must be painful having that thing staring at you...

Please post a review when you're up and running.

3. SteveMo

Looks like the shadow to the right of everything was not the the convergance...... I don't think.

So much for LOTR on a prefect screen. There's always later.

4. SteveMo

On a good note the new screen cover is a new model and is slighly tinted and with less reflection and glare. I see no more visible lines! Awesome screen cover.
    Go here for my quest of a new set If they can't fix it.....
    Toshiba 50"

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Can you please infrom me which colour temp closer to the 6500K? It has cool, normal, warm1 and warm2.

6. David Susilo

Can you please inform me which colour temp closer to the 6500K? It has cool, normal, warm1 and warm2.

7. SteveMo

Acording to my THX glasses the "normal" at half setting of tint is dead on target. Same goes for color. I like to scale down the color just a little however. [​IMG] Otherwise things look less realistic and more like an image of a movie.
    This is what I have it at
    Brightness 56
    Contrast 0
    Sharpness 70
    Color 20
    tint 50
    Just some more advice. It is important to set your convergance at a contrast of least 70 for a more accurate job. It should take noless than 5 minutes and you should only do this after the set has been used for at least 100 hours.
    Samsung has a great new screen cover and If I had known they had them and mine had been ok to begin with (it was scratched during shipping) I would have bought one myself. Any other questions? I do have the service manual and a tech is supposed to call me tomorrow about fixing my slight problem. I hope he saves his work next time also.

8. SteveMo

9. David Susilo

Your setting varies quite greatly compared to mine. Which calibration DVD did you use? I used Video Essentials and my settings are as follows:

Colour Temp: Normal
    Contrast and Brightness: 40
    Colour: 60 (but I toned it down to 40)
    Sharpness: 25
    Tint: 48-52

With regrads to convergence, there is this auto convergence button, and I only use that. Do you think the auto convergence doesn't do the job properly?

10. rob_stei

rob_stei Auditioning

Is this new screen cover now standard on the hcl4715? or is this something that needs to be purchased aftermarket? One of the main reasons I just ordered the 4715 from BB was because of the superior "anti-glare" screen compared to the other sets on display. I'm curious if the screen you guys are raving about is the same I as mine or even better! Thanks.

11. David Susilo

Steve, since you have the service manual, would you please inform me which settings controls:

1. Horizontal Size (width size)
    2. Vertical Size (height size)
    3. Horizontal Position
    4. Vertical Position
    5. Velocity Modulation Level (or VSM on Sony)

Reason being is my 30" 16:9 Samsung has different parameter names than the 42" RPTV 16:9 Samsung I just received this morning.

12. SteveMo

My screen was on back order for 2 months so this may be the screen cover fot the new model Samsung 47"
    I could not find how to adjust them but in geometry it says..
    1 V shift
    2 v linearity
    3 h size
    4 pin amp
    5 V angle
    6 v size
    7 v-s correction
    8 pin phase
    9 h shift
    9 h shift
    10 v bow
    You need insruments, and also to do the fail safe check after this. You need the pictures of this and a skilled tech.
    I was only stating that the tech could use my service manual. I don't use it.
    MY SITUATION:
    They said it may be some part they think and they ordered one for me. That is a sign of hope.[​IMG]

13. SteveMo

Actually he had saved the convergance becasue that is still perfect but the auto covergance feature wasn't programmed for it.

14. SteveMo

I was at a commercial movie theater that had a similar shadow effect this morning. I saw the movie Signs. This shadow was up and not to the right.

It follows me wherever I go.

15. David Susilo

It's funny that Steve's TV and mine (both Samsung, both 2002 models) have different service menu parameters.