What's new

My samson can't get a signal (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm in a world of hurt. I just tried to hook up my dual 16-46CS+ with the Samson 1000 that I got a week ago. I'm in the middle of a move and the SVS is at the house and I don't have internet connectivity there at all. Anyways, I hooked it up and it powers on, but it won't receive a signal. I've tried stereo and parallel mode, both inputs, I've used the supplied cable and the adapter on a monster composite cable I have. I've tried connecting to my subwoofer outputs and even my main pre-out. No matter what, the thing powers on like its supposed to, but it never receives a signal.

So I need ideas. I don't have time for e-mails. I've got less than twelve hours before the movers arrive and then I'm without internet access until Monday. So if there's something magical I need to do, please tell me. The worst thing in the world would be to have to haul that some place to be shipped and then bring another one home. I'm to damn tired to be mucking about with that.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and it does go through the power on cycle like it should, it goes out of protect mode just fine and the fans come on. But after that the -40dB light never comes on and no sound comes out.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Make sure the receiver is set to LFE or Subwoofer "On"
Set center and mains to "small"
Check that the interconnect from receiver sub out to amp is *all the way in* (it should click).
Make sure the receiver LFE level isn't set to -10 or disable (depends).
Make sure what you're testing for bass with something that actually has bass :)
Just connect 1 sub until you get it working, you may have them out of phase and they are just cancelling each other.
If you're using a Y splitter, remove it for now.
If there is an LFE pad set to 0 or +10 but not -10.
Check the speaker wire connections.
All I can think of right now. GL.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I've tried various sub settings, and like I said I tried the left channel pre-out. Not once did I get a signal, I've never seen -40dB or -20dB lights light up. If there's a short in the speaker cable, I'd think that'd trip the protection circuit.

This is on a Yamaha RX-V1, which I believe doesn't need the signal booster to work with the Samson.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Here's a way to get to the bottom of this:

Turn everything off and disconnect the speaker wire from the Samson to the sub.

Remove the RCA connector (LFE cable) from the Samson to the receiver at the receiver end. Turn the Samson on.

Using a voltmeter set to the x1 or x10 ohm position. (if no voltmeter available a 1.5v battery and leads will do) Turn the Samson on, attach one lead (doesn't matter which one) to the ground side (outer shield of connector) and with the other lead tap the center conductor. The output LED's of the Samson should activate. If they do not your Samson is KAPUT. (I am assuming the LFE cable is good, because you have probably swapped that before)

If the LED's work then I suspect something with the processor or settings thereof.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well it turns out it wasn't much of a problem. I was fearful of the SPL these guys can make so I dropped the subwoofer level on the receiver to -20dB. In my tired state I didn't think much of it. Although I tried the left main out and that didn't do anything either. Also, I was sure even with that set to -20, it'd still send something to the subs. All the same, it works now. Now I have to calibrate, of course I should probably do some unpacking and other such stuff also, but what's the rush?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"All the same, it works now. Now I have to calibrate, of course I should probably do some unpacking and other such stuff also, but what's the rush?"
First make sure the sound system is working properly. Next everything else! ;)
Glad it's all OK Keith :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks