My RV31 is dying after only 6 months!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin-H, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I read all the negative comments about the unit on Amazon.com, but I decided to go through and order the unit anyway. Now the motor seems to be slowly dying! It makes an extremely annoying and audible sound the entire time the disc is spinning, and when I put my hand on the player, it seems to be shaking pretty violently.

The warranty doesn't cover labor and I only paid $80 for a unit, so it looks like Colin will be asking Santa for a new DVD player.

ARRRRGGGHHH. Is the RV32 going to waste my money as well?!

2. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I have the Panasonic RV31 and it's been going strong for a year now. No problems whatsoever. I believe that it was generally considered one of the best interlaces players for its price. At least that is what I have read on boards such as this one. The picture is quite good even on my 32" Toshiba without "the squeeze." I love my player, and I'm sorry to hear that your unit is breaking down already. Perhaps Pansonic covers their products for a year? Worth looking into.

3. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Sorry to hear that. My 31 lasted 7 months before it died an untimely death. [​IMG] It put out a great picture, when it worked. The 31 has had a big failure rate, but I haven't heard any similar news about the 32. I think they figured out the problems and fixed it with the 32. (Hopefully) I can tell you right now labor will run you about $120 to fix it.
    TimG

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    My inlaws have the 32 on my suggestion. Still going strong after 1 year. My sister just got this player on my recommendation as well. You can find them for $100. Still probably the best entry level player you can get.

5. Corey_ Williams

Corey_ Williams Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] I'm sorry to hear that you hade problems with your 31. I bought my 31 for christmas last year. It's still going strong. I liked the 31 so much that I bought the panny 32 for my mother and mother-in-law this year for christmas, and I upgrade to the panny 62.

6. Joseph Dubin

Joseph Dubin Auditioning

My RV31 died on me last week. It suddenly stopped reading discs and after several attempts at reloading the code "H02" came on. I called Panasonic and was told how to reset the machine - it did not help.

From other websites I have learned this is common with the RV31 line. It's a shame, too, because it had a fantastic picture and allowed one to adjust brightness, black level and color saturation.

A similar problem happened a year ago with my Kenwood DV 303. I have been told it was made by Panasonic for Kenwood (might be true, both remotes worked for both models). There were problems with Panasonic's second generation DVD players (a110 and a 310). I have a Panny in my living room HT setup and I'm now worried about that one going too.

7. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

My Panasonic RP31 quit after about a year. I too got the "HO2" message, just like Joseph.
    I bought the RP31 after reading many positive reviews, but I have to say IMO this particular model is a POS and I felt that way even before it up and died on me. I bought a cheap Sony as a temporary replacement and I like it much better. Definitely a nicer picture with the squeeze technique on my non-prog 27-inch set.
    Still, so many people here have raved about the RP82, I'm willing to give Panasonic another chance, assuming I can find one of the damn things. They are seemingly back-ordered everywhere.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just curious here: How often did you guys run your 31s? Player durability (or the lack of it) is a pet interest of mine. Thanks.

9. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I ran my RP31 (not RV31) every other day or so, often just while tweaking my system rather than watching an entire movie. It was well ventilated and heat build up was not a problem.